PDA

View Full Version : Crazy power steering issue

sLoWnStEaDy
11-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Thought I was going to take the RX7 out yesterday but when I started it up the steering whel just jerked out of my hands and cranked ALL THE WAY to the left! When I say jerked, I mean VIOLENTLY yanked on my arms (they still hurt) and just went full lock to the left. Now I did a little bit of research and apparently that is what happens when the lines are hooked up backwards however mine are correct to the best of my knowledge. I mean There are only two lines, one is a hard line with a threaded fitting which is screwed into the Ford power steering pump, the other is just a little rubber line that is on the nipple of the power steering pump reservoir.

This power steering rack is the orignal one that came in my RX7 and was perfect when I took it out to replace it with a manual rack. However I decided I want power steering again so I put this rack back in along with the stock lines/cooler etc...

krustindumm
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't have time right now, but later I'll check the pressure specs for the two cars.

IMO, you should just put the manual rack back in.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, the manual rack is already gone sadly...

here is what GrannysSpeedShop has to say about the power steering setup:

Power Steering...
...Option #1- Mazda Power Steering Pump...involves adapting your RX-7 pump to the Ford bracket, and installing the proper style drive pulley. We currently have no ready-made bracket to make this option a bolt-on. The reason some choose this route is that the RX-7's speed sensitive steering remains intact.
...OPTION #2- Ford Power Steering Pump... the RX-7 steering rack can be plumbed to the Ford pump using custom hoses. The Mazda rack came in 2 versions, one that had 2 hoses, and one that had 3 hoses going to the pump/valve body assembly. The 2 hose version can be plumbed in directly. The 3 hose version can be plumbed into the Ford pump as follows...
..."A"- small pressure hose- this is a high pressure return line that went from the RX-7 rack to the return metering valve that was mounted on the side of the RX-7 pump. A stepper motor controlled the needle shaped valve to control the volume of fluid that was bled off to vary the amount of power assist. The stepper was controlled by the RX-7's "power steering control unit", a computer located under the dash to the left of the steering column. This hose should be connected to a "T" installed in the low pressure return line "C", allowing excess pressure from the rack to bleed off, returning fluid to the pump's resevoir.
..."B"- larger pressure hose- this is the pressure line from the pump to the rack. Plumb this hose directly to the Ford pump's pressure fitting using a custom fabricated hi-pressure hose.
..."C"- large low pressure return hose- this is the return line to the resevoir. This hose should have a "T" installed with the open leg of the T connected to hose "A".
Plumbing the PS system as noted above will result in a reduced amount of power assist, perfect for high speed driving. Steering effort at low speeds will be reduced to about 1/2 the assist provided by the stock RX-7 power steering. Drivers not familiar with the RX-7 rarely detect that the power steering assist has been reduced.

I have the 2-hose setup and it says it and be "plimbed directly" but it also says to use custom hoses... my factory RX7 lines fit the ford pump just fine so I just left them like that. I guess the custom hose part could mean that the way I have it is backwards some how. I just assume the factory Mazda hard line is the high pressure hose and the small rubber line would be the low-pressure return hose... I will have to check into that but it makes since to me...

Deimos
11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
If it went full lock to the left when driving it sounds like your toe is way the hell off. I've never heard of hooking the lines backwards making the rack go a certain way

sLoWnStEaDy
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
no, I wasn't driving. The car was parked and did that about 5 seconds after starting...
It's not like the wheel just gradualy turns or anything, it fukki JERKS! I couldn't even turn the steering wheel this quick by hand. It take all of my strength to fight against it and hold the wheel straight! Def. hydraulic pressure working against me!
I have read about that happening when the lines are backwards quite a few times and the guys at both AutoZone and Advance Auto said the same thing... the High School kids up at O'Reilly had no clue as always though... LOL...

sLoWnStEaDy
11-12-2009, 04:32 PM
here is a crappy video I got...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3nJZOBvyM

I just can't believe that Mazda would use a small rubber line with a hose clamp for the pressure line and a metal line that screws into the pump for a return line.

Deimos
11-12-2009, 08:09 PM
wow man that's a first for me. What a pos

DragonUSMC
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
This happened to either my 240, Justin's 240 or my brother's 240... i cant remember which.

However i also cant remember what exactly the problem was... but it was simple.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
This happened to either my 240, Justin's 240 or my brother's 240... i cant remember which.

However i also cant remember what exactly the problem was... but it was simple.

LOL ...that was informative... LOL

sLoWnStEaDy
11-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Finaly just said "fuk it", whats the worst that could happen. Switched the lines around and problem is solved!