PDA

View Full Version : fixing stripped carb stud hole?

sLoWnStEaDy
11-07-2009, 01:41 PM
gotta buddy who thinks he has to go King fukkin Kong on everything he tightens and ended up stripping out two of the stud holes on my aluminum intake. Anything I can do to fix this short of filling, drilling and tapping? I was thinking that Alumaloy shit might be worth a try...

if it matters, it is a single-plane, high-rise intake...

Luminatorz34
11-07-2009, 07:49 PM
all i can think would be to heli-coil it

Deimos
11-08-2009, 07:17 AM
is it off the car?

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 08:06 AM
No... but I could have it off pretty quick. the carb and throttle bracket and everything is off so just the intake bolts would need to be removed to pull it off....

85XR7Project
11-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Just drill and tap it! Its very very easy.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 09:36 AM

not really that easy... carb studs (as far as i know) only come in the one size. so I would have to fill the hole with weld, then drill/tap it. I have a tap/die set so that isn't a problem, just filling it would be my issue.

I was thinkign heli-coil too but as of right now I don't know the thread size/pitch of teh carb studs so... and I have never done a heli coil either so...

DustinsDuster
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM

not really that easy... carb studs (as far as i know) only come in the one size. so I would have to fill the hole with weld, then drill/tap it. I have a tap/die set so that isn't a problem, just filling it would be my issue.

I was thinkign heli-coil too but as of right now I don't know the thread size/pitch of teh carb studs so... and I have never done a heli coil either so...

Heli-coil, definatly. all you do is drill out the old threads, tap the hole with the supplied tap, and screw in the heli-coil. a heli-coil repaired hole is also stronger than a plain threaded bolt hole anyway. im not 100%, but im pretty sure most carb studs are 5/16" coarse thread. i believe a heli-coil kit should be around $10.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Think I will try the Heli-coil... looks like the studs are 5/16 - 18 (coarse).

Looked at them the other day at Autozone but they didn't come with a tap or anything, not that it matters much as I have my own but... I will let you'all know how it works out for me. LOL

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
damn I am cheap! $21 bucks for teh heli-coil kit... comes with both tools and 12 thread inserts... Have to get the kit from Autozone because Ace Hardware, Edgewood Hardware and Theisens had no Idea what I was talking about! LOL Even after I exlpained what it was I just got the "oh... Yeah, I don't think we sell those". Got to love the high school students working on the weekends not having a damn clue about anything!

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
well, that worked out pretty good I guess. The POS tool that came with the kit was made of plastic and lasted about 30 seconds or so before I had to grab the one from my tap/die kit. However, I got them all drilled and tapped, threads inserted and got the carb back on it and the throttle bracket stays put now (couldn't tighten the stud/nut before so when you hit the gas pedal the bracket would just move instead of the throttle linkage on the carb.

I am excited to see if it is going to be a noticeable difference over the stock 5.0HO/T-5. I just ditched all of the EFI stuff, threw on an MSD 6AL, single plane hi-rise intake, Holley 650 (little more than I need probably but it was CHEAP and still BNIB), HEI dist., some good wires/plugs (was stock with the EFI) a full underdrive pulley kit, and a C4 with a B&M ratchet shifter. along with some other misc. stuff including a dual oil filter relocation kit, trans cooler and oil cooler etc... Hoping to get some videos up next weekend, depends on how lazy I am...

krustindumm
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Sometimes you can also just tap to the next size (3/8) and get a stepped stud. Fastenal will be your friend.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
is this on the rx7?

DustinsDuster
11-08-2009, 04:10 PM
i dont think a 650 is big for that at all. a lot of 5.0 guys will run 750's with no problems.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, it is in teh RX7...

Good to hear about the carb! I was getting a lot of crap for the 650, most people where telling me 550-600 would be right but I plan to do heads and a cam this winter and i got this carb brand new with warranty for $65 shipped to my door. Only thing I don't like is that it has vacuum secondaries, was hoping for mechanical but...

DustinsDuster
11-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Good to hear about the carb! I was getting a lot of crap for the 650, most people where telling me 550-600 would be right but I plan to do heads and a cam this winter and i got this carb brand new with warranty for $65 shipped to my door. Only thing I don't like is that it has vacuum secondaries, was hoping for mechanical but...

ive still got a 750DP Holley sitting around. you could probably try it out with your new combo and decide if you like it or not.

sLoWnStEaDy
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM

ive still got a 750DP Holley sitting around. you could probably try it out with your new combo and decide if you like it or not.

I actualy just PM'd someone about a blow thru carb he had laying around about a month back... I have a Holset HX52 sitting in the garage and I have always wanted to do a blow-thru turbo setup... I'll let you know though...

69gt4speed
11-09-2009, 02:11 AM
I ran a 735 cfm cj holley for a while w a single plane intake w ported heads and mech cam on a 289 hp bored over. It worked ok. Vac. secondary. 4 speed light 65 stang. It was free, a warranty deal. More or less a reg 780/750 vac holley these days w jets on sec. and auto choke.