PDA

View Full Version : Winter mods what to get?

Stutz
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I want to spend 1 to 2k on my 02 camaro this winter, not sure what the best things to get would be. Right now it has lid, headers, cat back, stall, and a 80mm tb.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-02-2009, 01:54 PM
defintely a cam or nitrous kit...if you do it right you will spend about 1k on each (cheaper for the cam if you do it yourself) and a tune of course...and a WIDEBAND tune at that, done pull an uncle taylor..

K-ville
11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
do the cam yourself and add a set of gears to the list

ZEE
11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Get a 9 inch or 12 bolt. It's out of your price range some but anything else you do will put your puny 10 bolt on borrowed time anyway.

sparkles
11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I'd look around for a maybe a used set of heads. A cam would be easy and cheap to do also.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-02-2009, 08:31 PM
yeah even do both the cam and heads, i picked up my 243's for like $400....but if the rear is solid and quiet i wouldnt worry about it for a while, i cut high 1.6/low 1.7's on mine and it doesnt make a peep...its gets its fair share of spirited driving as well..autos save your ass in that department for a little while...although my trans went out before the rear did..

Domestic Disturbance
11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
As little fun as it sounds, I agree with Zee. Get a built rear, or even a built tranny. Both a little out of your price range though. Otherwise you could pick up a nice n20 kit too.

69gt4speed
11-03-2009, 03:46 AM
If a good auto a wet small shot prob is best for the $. Don't really need a tune w that. A wb would be super to borrow to make sure tune was good. 75hp jets. That will add 100 tq and make it move out. A cam is maybe 35/40hp, then you need a stall and tune.. more expensive. That's the cheapest way I figure. Prob w a stick tq is lot more w spray and violent, it breaks crap if not on the street. Either way figure tires also and some bushings. I've raced plenty of camaros and that setup w tires on the street did well.

Stutz
11-03-2009, 11:05 AM
i have a zex dry kit laying around its 75, 100, 125

sparkles
11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Why are you all scared of nitrous? Put in the 150 pills and call it a day. A 75 shot wouldn't even be worth it at that point.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-03-2009, 12:14 PM
you would probably want to pull some timing on a 150 shot, among other things (im doing a full nitrous tune)...but im a big pussy.

Stutz
11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Would i need bigger injectors or a fuel pump? Not too familiar with ls1s altho this is the second one i've owned. I just found a 98 z28 six speed for dirt cheap i might get this weekend not sure why i dont need another car.

sparkles
11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
With a dry kit, it couldn't hurt. I'd stick with a wet kit though.

APPLES355
11-04-2009, 11:35 AM
A set of 243 heads with the 918 springs, cam, LS6 intake, and ported throttle body would do wonders for that car. I have seen the LS6 go from between $275 and $350. The 243 heads i have seen go from between $400 and $800. cam for those cars are what $350 to $400 and a ported stock throttle body could go for $150 to $250. Lastly a tune is i think around $400. Total amount possibly spent could be $1575 to $2200. If possible you could get larger injectors as well. Ask Fifdy about his car because what he ran was impressive considering what parts are in his engine.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
he wont need the ls6 intake because his car is an 02, and it says he already has a tb, but i would also take into consideration what supporting mods you will need for the cam, to be conservative (ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, pushrods, springs (NOT 918's, some people break them often, run a nice double spring or some pac beehives) etc, it all adds up quick...and i have hptuners if you can find someone to tune it for you, im not comfortable fully tuning a car yet....if i were you i would throw that zex kit on with a HSW dry interface and a microedge module along with some svo injectors and a fuel pump, just to be safe and just get it tuned, i doubt you would be disappointed....but if you want power all the time, i would do the latter...

APPLES355
11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
What years and models did the LS6 intake and or 243 heads come on? I am just curious. Would you know the part number on the intake that signifies the LS6 intake as well.
It could be useful to many people looking for that sort of stuff!

FiFdYnUtZ
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM
i'll look up the ls6 intake # but they came on 01 and 02 models, and those models also came with 241 heads compared to the 853's on the earlier years (although some had 241's etc) the 243/799's came only on ls2 gto's or vettes and also ls6 corvettes (the ls6 vette 243's had sodium filled valves though)...

FiFdYnUtZ
11-04-2009, 03:18 PM
12561184 thats the ls6 #.....they also do not have EGR provisions on top behind the tb and the bottom of them is flat and has angle cross hatches...

Domestic Disturbance
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I believe LS6 intakes came with a couple different production numbers. The 01/02 fbody, ybodies, and the SLP version. Plus 918s got revised a year or so ago, and people haven't been breaking those as far as I've seen. They were even taking trade in's from the old design. I'd still prefer double springs, but I'd prefer a bigger cam too.

StreetSweeper
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Obviously your going to want basic bolt ons first, lid, headers, exhaust etc. If you start doing heads cam nitrous , and converter you are possibly nocking on the door of 10 second times if its set up right of course, but if your just looking for a few parts to make it sound good and run a tad better i dont see why you would need to get a different rear as i have seen myself the 10 bolt go 10.80s pass after pass, in deans car when the cheif owned it. Allso could check into a ported tb as there are a lot of little tricks in the book. good luck!

if you really wanna get crazy i could possibly have a fast 90 mm tb for sale if you wanted to get a fast intake!

ZEE
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
SLP sells a LS6 intake with EGR provisions so really can't use the EGR as an identifier. LS6 intake has a flat bottom and the LS1 intake has kind of a rounded bottom. That's the best way to tell.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-06-2009, 06:11 PM
the corvette's ls1 intake also doesnt have the egr shit, but its rare to come across an slp or vette intake i would say...

ZEE
11-06-2009, 06:19 PM
If your gonna put a bottle on it you don't really need to replace the fuel pump unless you modify it beyond that like Heads/cam for example. Wet shot you don't need to replace injectors but keep in mind the stock injectors are barely large enough for a stock motor. Bigger injectors require tuning. Dry shot you will need bigger injectors since they will be supplying the added fuel.

ZEE
11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
the corvette's ls1 intake also doesnt have the egr shit, but its rare to come across an slp or vette intake i would say...

But if you know what to look for someone may be selling an LS1 intake that is really an LS6 because they think all EGR equipped ones are LS1. So someone would be getting a good deal if they knew what to look for. That and many sellers try to scam someone selling a vette LS1 intake as an LS6. Looking at the bottom is the easiest method to distinguish between the 2.

Domestic Disturbance
11-07-2009, 12:05 AM
I have all the ls6 part #s written down, but thats all the way in the garage. Can't really expect me to go get that from so far away

ZEE
11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
There are several different numbers for an LS6 intake also. GM thought it would be fun to keep changing the part numbers.

Tscape16
11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
If it was me and I was planning on eventually building an engine, which I will be, I'd beef up all the stock stuff or replace it, suspension, rear-end, tranny. There are too many variables that can go wrong. What is the point of adding a lot of power right now, when in a month you could break something that will run you another $1,000 that you don't have to spend.
This winter I'm looking into possibly beefing up the rear-end, the tranny is already built, and possibly some more suspension for the LS6 Heads and Torquer v2 I'll eventually be adding not to mention...other things. I have $1,500 to work with right now. Supporting mods, then power mods, but that is just my opinion. I guess it all just depends on where you want to be eventually and how much wear/tear you already have (mileage, been raced a lot, had a lot of spirited driving).

Sledge_WS6
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I'd say it all depends on where you want this car to end up. If you want a cam only car with a smaller cam, do it now. But, if you want to go better you need to get some other stuff out of the way. I'll keep it short; go with supporting mods first: Suspension, Rear-End, Tranny...whatever you think might go with an increased amount of power. Who cares if you have 500rwhp, but something else goes that isn't beefed up enough? Better to spend it now than later when you don't have the extra cash around.
I'm thinking about my rear-end/suspension this winter more and more since the tranny is already built. Then I can start swapping h/c. Just my two cents, in the end it is your decision to make.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
i wouldnt be too worried, i plan to run in the 10's next summer on my 10bolt....autos are rather forgiving on them..although i have a performabuilt trans already...