PDA

View Full Version : anyone got a smoke machine leak detector thing?

sLoWnStEaDy
10-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Got a vacuum leak on teh SuperCoupe and I cannot find it for the life of me. I was wondering if anyone had a smoke machine / leak detector thing or knows a good cheap way to make something that will work. My only idea so far is basicaly us make a "cap" of sorts to put on the T.B., open the T.B. all the way and pump a few psi into it so may be I can find it easier without all teh engien noise...

Or does anyone else have a good way to do it? Figured all the DSM guys on here someone has had to have down leak tests...

black88gt
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
spray it w/ brake clean and listen for increase in rpms

TbTalon94
10-09-2009, 06:24 AM
Make a cap to stick into the intake or somewhere you can fill the system full of air. Then take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray away. It will bubble where it leaks. Easy as cake.

Drifte
10-09-2009, 10:21 AM
yea, boost leak tester.

rubber coupler, pvc cap to fit in it, and a valve stem.

Ricky
10-09-2009, 10:40 AM
yea, boost leak tester.

works good. Good way to check for other leaks too.... i had A LOT after the FMIC install hehe

sLoWnStEaDy
10-09-2009, 12:39 PM
spray it w/ brake clean and listen for increase in rpms

problem is that it idles at 3K RPM... which is why I think I have a pretty decent vacuum leak somewhere. Just impossible to hear with the engine at 3K rpm and an EXHAUST LEAK (yeah, didn't even make it a week...)

sLoWnStEaDy
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Make a cap to stick into the intake or somewhere you can fill the system full of air. Then take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray away. It will bubble where it leaks. Easy as cake.

that was my "plan" for the most part... wish me luck

krustindumm
10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
yea, boost leak tester.

works good. Good way to check for other leaks too.... i had A LOT after the FMIC install hehe

You guys are still using my leak detector aren't you? I haven't seen it since a week after I made it like 4 years ago.

Two rubber PVC caps from menards, like $5 each. Remember that PVC is sized by ID, so the caps are rated by the PVC's ID, which is 3/8-1/2" smaller than the actual ID of the cap. Then a bolt-in (metal) valve stem.

Ricky
10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
yea, boost leak tester.

You guys are still using my leak detector aren't you? I haven't seen it since a week after I made it like 4 years ago.

Two rubber PVC caps from menards, like $5 each. Remember that PVC is sized by ID, so the caps are rated by the PVC's ID, which is 3/8-1/2" smaller than the actual ID of the cap. Then a bolt-in (metal) valve stem.

hehe i used trevors....

Drifte
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I used a standard (not high pressure bolt in) valve stem on mine. Works fine. Face it dustin you lost yours.

TbTalon94
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM

Don't you have to be boosted to even need one anyway.... :rolleyes:

Jappbox
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Get ride of the valve stem and use a regular Air Male adapter for a boost leak tester, alows you to test had Much Much high pressure, and you dont have to hold it there like a valve stem, I noticed with the valve stem you can only crank out a few psi. And on a boosted car some leaks dont happen till 15+psi, Like Throttle body seals. I was able to test mine to 40psi on the evo simulating real conditions of Pressure.

krustindumm
10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

I was boosted when I made it.

TbTalon94
10-14-2009, 08:00 AM

I was boosted when I made it.

but not anymore...so still worried about it being lost?

Ricky
10-14-2009, 03:15 PM
soooooo Keith.... haha back on topic... what did you end up doing and did it work?

sLoWnStEaDy
10-14-2009, 10:09 PM
well, I pulled my head out of my ass an realized that it wasn't a surging idle or anything, it was just a constant 3K idle. Pulled the intake tubes off and blocked about 90% of the IAC valve port with my finger and it idled down just fine. The it started acting up again so I took teh connector of my air compressor and just straight clamped the air compressor hose onto the big vacuum port on the intake arm and opened it up to about 15 psi. ended up finding 3 unhooked vacuum lines. got two of them figured out but the last one is still a mystery and is just plugged for now. I really need to get this thing tuned!!

but man it is a fukkin torque monster! going to be doing some good stuff over the winter so come spring it should be even better! Nothing crazy, having the blower ported along with the intake (might even have a custom one made) and probably some head work and a cam. now that it runs and drives all of my attention is back onto the RX7 for the moment.

Deimos
08-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Just so you know I got one and we charge about 50 bucks to hook it up and find the leak

z28z34man
09-01-2011, 11:15 PM
back form the dead