PDA

View Full Version : Cash For Clunkers Part Deux....

SaNdMaNsSi
09-25-2009, 07:17 PM
So just to continue my rant and to say " I told you so...."

I was at a local salvage yard, and since I'm in the general industry, they usually talk to me pretty openly. I won't even bother saying I told you so, because everything I predicted in my original post is true. I get to talking to one of the people doing inventory, and he agrees that people are retarded for taking part in the program due to the vehicles they traded in- Most are worth at least the 4500, if not more.

What I hate about this is that any one of those people trading a good vehicle in could've given a high schooler the best day of their lives. I would've pulled into a lot and up to a typical POS car that every high schooler drives and trade them straight up for my nice vehicle. Not only does that make their day, you're having their POS crushed instead of a nice vehicle. If you don't know what I mean by "nice vehicle," take a drive around any lot that has C4C vehicles still.

Corruption abounds- Typical government program. At this unnnamed salvage yard they had already received hundreds of cars. Guess how they moved them from the front of the yard to the back? With the keys because only one dealership from the 10 they were recieving cars from destroyed the engines as they were supposed to, and it was the smallest dealership they received cars from. The guy told me that out of 250 cars he had inventoried, only 18 didn't run. Perfect.

And to end my rant, the rule is that the cars have to be destroyed in 6 months from the date the salvage yard receives them. I was talking to one of the front desk guys and said, "So hypothetically, whats to stop a guy from just stripping the vehicles to the frame and crushing that without all the parts?" He laughed and nudged me and said "The paperwork doesn't say anything about crushing the parts you put on a rack!"

Stupid stupid program. Now, all POS junkers on the road will run 3 times as long. Why? Because GOOD quality parts abound. There are less of that model in existence. Therefore the demand for parts drops as the inventory increases driving prices down. Now its very economical for a person to drive a 20 year old car for 40 more years. Sure you got half of those cars off the road, but if I can drive my beater for 3 times as long, thats actually like car companies creating 2 more clunkers for every one traded in. STUPID. End of rant.