PDA

View Full Version : Hunters (you know... those who hunt )

sLoWnStEaDy
09-18-2009, 06:56 PM
OK, I was just looking around ordering some stuff in preparation for deer season and got to thinking. I remember spending a descent chunk of change (something like $300) for a complete camoflague "outfit". Consisting of boots, pants, GIANT long sleeve shirt, hat, head net, gloves, the whole "kit and caboodle"... For the record, the GIANT long sleeve camo shirt is to fit over my winter coat as I didn;t want to buy a camo coat since I have a really nice winter coat already...

ANYWAYS, Now I have to do teh whole public hunting thing (green castle last year) and realized I had to wear all that bright ass orange junk. So my question is why the hell do pepoel buy camo clothing to hunt when you have to wear bright ass neon orange shit over top of it anyways?

NewSpeedSteed
09-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm not 100% sure that its true but deer are colorblind- their vision is pretty limited (black, grays and whites). It's been a few years since I hunted but when I did they (DNR) required that you wear a blaze orange vest or something (at least thats all I wore) over your coat or w/e you had on. Its really for your safety, I've about been shot 2x because people mistook my footsteps noise for a deer when I was coming out of the timber. I agree with you that the idea is stupid; covering yourself in expensive camo only to put a florescent orange vest over it.

Side note:
when I hunted I wore a pair of boots, blue jeans and a jacket with that lame orange vest and never had a problem getting my tags filled. Really all the camo isn't required but sometimes it does help.

warchild145
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't wear camo, just carharts and the orange vest. I also actually go after the deer instead of waiting for the deer so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

sLoWnStEaDy
09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I also actually go after the deer instead of waiting for the deer so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

LOL... me too... I am used to pheasant hutning so I was walking aroudn the whole day. People kept telling me I was doing it wrong and needed ot just sit and wait and blah blah blah... I enjoyed sledding the 8-pointer passed all of them on my nice 2+ mile walk back to the Malibu (yes, I shoved it in the trunk after wrappign it in plastic, don't worry, I have a jeep this year)

I clena my own and everything so all I had to do was call it in or whatever...

gsxtacy
09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Become a bow hunter and put that camo to use (dont have to wear orange). Its a neat feeling to have a deer right under your tree stand and they don't even know your there.

Jared

Fire Hawk
09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Become a bow hunter and put that camo to use (dont have to wear orange). Its a neat feeling to have a deer right under your tree stand and they don't even know your there.

Jared

I've seen several bow hunters out without any orange!