PDA

View Full Version : WTB 6speed LT1

Clinical
09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I guess I'm mainly posting to to ask for people to keep their eyes out for a decent LT1 that looks in good shape & priced decently that's a 6speed - Automatic would be okay too but I'm really trying to find a 6spd

I may be selling my Firebird due to my job situation and simply how much I can get out of it after I only payed 2700 for it - I hate to do it but I can't pass up a profit like that.

My limit at the moment is around $4,000

If anyone spies any other cars that seem decent/reliable - let me know about those as well.
I've been eyeing craigslist but I'm betting there are some nice deals hiding on front lawns/streets and stuff in the bigger cities!

Thanks!

DustinsDuster
09-17-2009, 10:01 PM
be prepared to spend around $1k for one. you might find a couple cheaper, and some will be a bit more, but $1k is pretty average. spending more money for a lower milage unit might cost a couple hundred more now, but i understand rebuilding a T56 costs around $1500, so keep that in mind.

personally, i got my '97 90k T56 with no bellhousing for $750; but i had to drive to Chicago to get it. in hindsight, id probably pay another $200 to save the 9 hours of driving, tolls, and dealing with Chicago traffic...1

Clinical
09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
lol I was speaking as in I'm looking for an actual car with a T56 / LT1 in decent condition :P

Just selling my firebird and loved it enough I'd like to find a 4th gen f-body - would love to get one in a 6spd.

A bit unrelated but - if you ever need something out of Chicago - give me gas money and I'll get it! Lol I love drives like that, I love driving in big cities too - the tolls & all that jazz make it that much more fun. I had the time of my life on the trip up & back to get my firebird in chicago

FiFdYnUtZ
09-18-2009, 11:56 AM
why would you purposely want an lt1? check ls1tech.com in the classifieds, george found a 00 ls1 camaro for a friend in illinois clean as hell for 4500 i think...just gotta look...

NewSpeedSteed
09-18-2009, 01:02 PM
why would you purposely want an lt1? check ls1tech.com in the classifieds, george found a 00 ls1 camaro for a friend in illinois clean as hell for 4500 i think...just gotta look...

+1
Anymore LS1s have came down in price that a good car with reasonable miles (considering they are at best 7 years old) and they are a better platform to start from than the LT1s. If its the LT1 style you like then so be it but you could find a better car in my opinion than that. I remember 2 years back or so a friend of mine picked up a 99 Z28 auto for about 6 grand, it had about 80k miles but it was still a good deal. Shop around, and keep an open mind. Good luck with the search!

Clinical
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm still keeping my eye out for LS1's - however I'd actually like to stay around 2000-3000 to have money to make it through until after the Holidays.

I didn't want to make this post too broad so I just said LT1 6speed - if anyone see's a nice deal on an LS1 where I wouldn't have to finance, I'd be more than thankful for it.

Thanks