PDA

View Full Version : Yet another New Guy

MrEddy
09-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Just ran across this site while searching for other info. Nice surprise.

Here's what we're currently driving.
[attachment=1:2ehgfzov]Golf-Beetle_002.jpg[/attachment:2ehgfzov]
An 2000 Beetle 1.8T (mine) and a 2001 Golf GLS 2.0 (wifes) Both completely stock, though my Beetle is in need of suspension work (180000 miles) and I'm itching to put in some upgraded parts.

I've been into cars pretty much since I could legally drive. My first big love was my 1970 Mustang Mach 1. I miss that car.

I had POS '86 GTI before my Beetle. Looked like crap, but I had completely rebuilt the engine, suspension and brakes. It drove great, just looked like...
[attachment=0:2ehgfzov]My 86 GTI_004.jpg[/attachment:2ehgfzov]

Anyway, Hello All.

85XR7Project
09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
I always liked those old GTIs. Welcome, what sort of direction do you have planned? I worked at a VW dealership for a while I never really could find a liking for those beetles, the Golfs yes, but Beetles no. The 1.8turbo is a good engine though.

DustinsDuster
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
welcome to the site. there's a few big audi/VW guys on here- hopefully they'll chime in soon.

Drifte
09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
A friend of mine has a nice GTI. But you've made it it 180k without modifying the beetle?! I too drive a car that looks like crap but has the new stuff where it counts.

welcome

NewSpeedSteed
09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Nice couple of VWs you have. Any more details on the '70 Mach 1? If you might have noticed I love Machs.

MrEddy
09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
I always liked those old GTIs. Welcome, what sort of direction do you have planned? I worked at a VW dealership for a while I never really could find a liking for those beetles, the Golfs yes, but Beetles no. The 1.8turbo is a good engine though.

Maybe drop it .5" to 1" and go with poly bushings and set of "sport" shock/struts. Nothing major, just want a bit of an upgrade. At least comparing our cars against each other, the Beetle already handle a lot better than the Golf.

I was a bit skeptical of the Beetle at first. I was looking for a MK4 GTI to replace the '86, but just couldn't find anything worth while in the price range we had. My two requirements were the 1.8T and manual tranny. Haven't been disappointed. I've grown to really like it. I've had it for just over three years and have put about 105,000 miles on it. I spend a lot time on the road.

MrEddy
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
A friend of mine has a nice GTI. But you've made it it 180k without modifying the beetle?! I too drive a car that looks like crap but has the new stuff where it counts.

welcome

I keep thinking about doing something with it. But it is my daily driver (105,000 miles in just over three years). I can't afford to do must performance wise. Gas would really kill me.

MrEddy
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice couple of VWs you have. Any more details on the '70 Mach 1? If you might have noticed I love Machs.

Thanks. We like em.

I'l have to dig out some photos of the Mustang and scan them. That was before we had digital cameras. Damn. I feeling old. The guy I bought it from trashed the 351 and put in a 302. Really not a good engine for that car. Just wasn't big enough. I did the whole cam, carb, intake, headers, bored .30 over thing and made it somewhat respectable.

I'll have to see if I have any group photos of me and my friends. Between all of us, we had my 70 Mach, a 71 Mach (completely stock), 69 Chevell SS (completely unstock 454), 68 Falcon (289 dual quads on a tunnel ram, nitrous) and few I can't remember the years of for some reason. (must be that age thing again) GTO, Hemi Cuda, Hemi Duster, 71 Turismo, 69 Mustang coupe. Probably forgetting a few.

Ed

Clinical
09-13-2009, 08:27 PM

welcome

I keep thinking about doing something with it. But it is my daily driver (105,000 miles in just over three years). I can't afford to do must performance wise. Gas would really kill me.
Depends how you do it.

Buddy of mine here's civic is a 12sec car that gets better mileage cruising than he did when it was stock.

If he tuned it differently though, it'd probably run quicker but it's his DD and only car + only thing he has in his name so he just sticks with the conservative tune.