PDA

View Full Version : Truing Tires

MrEddy
09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to what was going on. The rear shocks have started to go bad and I have some minor cupping on the rear tires.

Shocks have been replaced, but the tires have enough cupping to cause a lot of noise and a bit of vibration. There's quite a bit of tread left and really rather not just toss them out.

I've seen videos of Tire Turing machines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epT1K3M2nIo) that should be able to knock the high spots off so they are round again.

Does anybody know of any shop that has one these machines? I live in Cedar Rapids but don't mind driving a bit to save a couple of good tires.

Has anybody had this done and if so, what's your opinion of it? Any bad side affects on the tires?

Deimos
09-12-2009, 02:18 PM
The machine you speak of has been out dated for a while. We use to have them at sears but if u had a severely chopped tire it would ruin the tire trying to get it right. If it is a diagnol pattern across the rear its rear toe wipe or statuc balanced wheels. Since you say it is shock wear u may want to try the older tire shops around the town. Most of them stopped using them so good luck!

krustindumm
09-13-2009, 01:10 AM
My vote is for a burnout. Even if it doesn't work, you would have replaced them and it was fun! amirite.

MrEddy
09-13-2009, 07:03 AM
The machine you speak of has been out dated for a while. We use to have them at sears but if u had a severely chopped tire it would ruin the tire trying to get it right. If it is a diagnol pattern across the rear its rear toe wipe or statuc balanced wheels. Since you say it is shock wear u may want to try the older tire shops around the town. Most of them stopped using them so good luck!

We'll see if any one knows of one. At this point, I'd be out nothing (except a few $$) if I tried it and it ruined them.

Thanks
Ed

MrEddy
09-13-2009, 07:07 AM
My vote is for a burnout. Even if it doesn't work, you would have replaced them and it was fun! amirite.

That will be a last ditch attempt to "save" them. :yawinkle: