PDA

View Full Version : Welding

Fire Hawk
08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on what a good welder would be to use for welding in patch panels on vehicles? What brand? So far Im thinking wirefeed, mig welder with gas. Main use would be for body work for now... possibly some exhaust work, maybe a cage also.

I'm debating on buying one to use for my vehicle that I'm working on now unless I can find someone who can bring their welder and give me a hand with fixing the areas that need to be addressed on mine. Mainly need to have some areas of the floor pan fixed up so I can move onto the next step of the process.

Mike@Salkowski-Motorsport
08-30-2009, 09:17 PM
I would get a tig for welding panels.

DustinsDuster
08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I would get a tig for welding panels.

seems like complete overkill for a beginner welder doing simple sheet metal patch panels.

get a cheap mig welder from harbor freight- the should be able to help you pick one out. that will get you started for not much money, and give you an idea for what you would really want in a welder when you get more serious.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
yeah... TIG for a beginner doing patch panels is like going rabbit hunting for the first time and using an RPG...

I had a Lincoln SP-175 plus that worked GREAT for patch panels. Anything from like 16 gauge up to almost 1/4" welded just fine. Sold mine for $350~... I used to have a cheap Harbor Freight one and I HATED it, I mean REALLY, REALLY hated it!! it was agasless with flux core and it didn't weld for shit! Chicago Electric was the brand IIRc I honestly threw it in the garbage after only a couple weeks.

Domestic Disturbance
08-31-2009, 01:44 AM
stacey david says mig should almost always be enough for body panels seeing as how they're so thin, and if he says it its law

30lbsboost
08-31-2009, 05:20 AM
miller 212 is what I use!!
It will do about anything you need, from bodywork to chassis. I have bought cheap welders in the past(don't do that), and my miller kicks ass!!!