PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers is apparently for morons....

SaNdMaNsSi
08-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Okay, maybe a little harsh. But in my own opinion, everyone who has traded their car in as part of this program (speaking from the Nissan of CR parking lot only) are a bunch of retards. I almost took pictures to post on here.

I know the program is about getting gas-saving/better mileage per gallon cars, but the program is stupid. The people who have the most clunkers can't afford to trade them in. The only people using the program are the people who already had enough money but needed a push to spend it. Case in point: Nissan's back lot.

I counted 5 chevy trucks, mid to late 90's. Not just any trucks. Z71's. Maybe I'm stuck in the 90's, but these things are worth more than 4500. Not just that, but the 2 I could see up front were perfect. Not a spot of rust. Down the line- A toyota 4 runner. Not a new one, but again, not a spot of rust. What the hell are people thinking?

Most infuriating- I was at the salvage yard in Iowa City just to beautify my jeep a little since I heard they had one just in. Guess where it came from? CFC. I checked this thing out. Not only was there not a spot of rust, it was immaculate- Inside, outside, under the hood. Some of these dipshits could sell their car for 100 bucks to me and I'll give them one of 20+ POS cars in our impound lot. Who trades in a perfectly good Jeep Wrangler to be destroyed!? Dumbasses. Okay, I've vented. But I'm going to start taking pics with my camera phone at every dealership I go to. Maybe I'm missing the big picture, but I think its a huge waste of perfectly good vehicles. Its sad really.

85XR7Project
08-29-2009, 05:24 AM
How about the guys trading in Typhoons and Syclones? Or the guy who traded in a Maserati BiTurbo with 15K miles? Or the guy who traded a 03 Mazda PU with 75K on it? Its for every idiot!

NewSpeedSteed
08-29-2009, 08:04 AM
My take on the entire cash for clunkers program is that its just another attempt to stimulate the economy and help the automakers out- the auto industry IS struggling but hey who isn't today? I think it was a great chance for those who really needed to trade up to a better car to do so, but the people trading in late model trucks and suvs for new ones because they get 1-2mpg better is just stupid.

As for the trade ins getting crushed I don't know how many will really be taken to the scrap yard seeing how the term 'clunker' can't apply to half the cars that we (the public) traded in, I agree with you that it'd be a complete waste to scrap those cars. In the end though, cash for clunkers was just another idea to get us out of our economic slump but it failed in my opinion.

I know its not the best comparison but back in the depression when the wealthiest people dumped all of their money into the stock market trying to jump-start it themselves and they lost everything, really with all the money printing and new programs coming out to help the US it seems like a lost cause and were in need of a complete reform of the country.

Clinical
08-29-2009, 09:19 AM
There was a picture on thirdgen of a C4C'd 1989 GTA 350 in perfect condition

85XR7Project
08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Here are a few posted at another forum I am a member of...

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh296/redsun43/DSC08538.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj226/carmagguy/cougar1jpg.jpg
That was a pristine car too :mad:
http://fototime.com/%7B2A96031D-F494-4C8B-89D6-7573ADD95A70%7D/standardpict/exp=f&modt=40033.8972736343/CLUNKERS%20001.jpg

....Not right, not right at all.

ZEE
08-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Also as part of the program the motors must be destroyed before going to the salvage yard. what a waste. As far as helping the auto industry, the japanese auto industry benefited alot more than the american auto industry as the majority were trading in american cars for foreign.

85XR7Project
08-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Where did you hear that?
Check this out, of the top 10 four were domestic. I'd hardly say they had a leg up on anyone.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_c ... -new-cars/ (http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1036/top-cash-for-clunkers-trade-ins-and-new-cars/)

McKeever
08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Obama is bringing back FUBU. Created by morons for morons.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were two goals behind this program.
1st: help the auto industry / economy
2st: help the environment by destroying 'clunkers'

And neither goal will succeed.

First off, who wants to take a guess of what the auto sales will look like now that the program has ended? My prediction is sales will be the worst ever now that the program has ended. How is that good for businesses? Businesses want to try and have steady load of work, not a feast of famine environment. All this program did was create a bubble effect, and now we get to watch the bubble burst.

Second off, Jay Leno said it best. If you want to help the environment, keep driving your old clunker. People don't realize how much energy is used to create just 1 car. Everthing from the minning of iron ore to delivering the cars to the dealership. And all the pollution that goes along with that. I read an artical one time that talks about how a Hummer creates less pollution in it's live time than a Toyota Prius. How is that? Well the amount of pollution created by mining all the nickel that goes into the batteries of the Prius offsets the better fuel economy, and the estimated lifespan of the vehical. Which brings us back to the point Jay Leno was making, the longer the lifespan of the vehicle, the better it is for the environment.

69gt4speed
08-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I agree it takes a lot of energy to make a car no doubt about that... But take a coworker.. he has I kid you not 4 mercury marquis 80's vintage. So he got rid of one and got a nissan and too boot w a cvt tranny. He lives approx. 2mi. from work. I like fords but those things are dog turds imo. I might have got a nissan but not w a cvt cause they suck imo except snowmobiles. Anyway, he came out like a bandit w that deal. Paid cash w his mouldy money. That was what it suppose to be about imo.. trade in junk get a better car w more mileage. Retards that trade in fast cars etc. were no different than the early 70's except this time they trash the running gear. If I've been smart/rich then would have bought that new 69 boss 429 for 4k and stored it. I was broke.

As it is cash for clunkers sold +600k new cars, better than way it was. I'm sure for every fast car over 50 crappy cars were gotten rid of. Hopefully Joe Avg. benefitted. I've heard many stories they have. Once in a while they throw a bone. Sorry more here couldn't do it.

Domestic Disturbance
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Its a shame cause it has turned a profit, but there will always be idiots out there. Wish more dealers had the actually compassion for cars we had, and instead of just trying to sell everything, possibly give a higher offer on vehicles worth saving. Any dealer with a brain should know those vehicles would be worth more than that, and they could have made a profit from those. There's never a way to get around the morons.

An exemption list would be a nice idea, protecting all cars known to be either collectors, rare, having higher value, demand, etc, but that would probably make things too complicated.

JacobS
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
so when they junk all these clunkers...where does all the steel go? overseas?

SaNdMaNsSi
08-31-2009, 07:29 AM
They just destroy the engines, then the car goes to the junkyard for partout. Thats whats so dumb about the whole thing. Tons of perfectly good vehicles all over the junkyards with bad engines now.

85XR7Project
08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
They just destroy the engines, then the car goes to the junkyard for partout. Thats whats so dumb about the whole thing. Tons of perfectly good vehicles all over the junkyards with bad engines now.

They have 2 months to sell as much as they can before they have to crush em if I recall correctly.

69gt4speed
08-31-2009, 01:25 PM
so when they junk all these clunkers...where does all the steel go? overseas?

Steel goes to who pays the most per #. Yes china buys a lot of scrap steel. Ipsco here in iowa melts steel. Pmx melts down copper and brass and remakes it.

You can't help ppl if they are retarded enough to get rid of perfectly good fast cars for 4.5k. On the other hand a late 80's old rotting crown vic is no big deal to me. They can't give those away. Coworker got 150.00 for one of his grand marquis and it ran via salvage yard. Then he got 4.5k for another one. What would you do?

SaNdMaNsSi
08-31-2009, 09:05 PM

They have 2 months to sell as much as they can before they have to crush em if I recall correctly.

AKA 2 months to strip the car down to the frame and say its been "parted out." No salvage yard is going to crush good parts, period.