PDA

View Full Version : Electronics people... (power supply/car audio)

sLoWnStEaDy
08-14-2009, 03:02 PM
OK... My Home Theater setup is pretty good IMO. receiver, tiower speakers, surround speakers and "bass shakers". I really like it and the bass is damn nice! but not enough for me! I have plenty of car audio stuff laying around and was going to do the old "PC Power Supply to run car audio amp in the house" thing and had a question.

I was planning to use a pair of these: http://www.directron.com/hp400dr.html?gsear=1
and was wondering if anyone knows how big of an amp they will support? they are 75A peak each and I was planning to run them in Parallel so I will have 150A peak to work with instead of just 75A... the amplifier I will be using (if it doesn't sell on ebay) has 3-30A fuses. That will work out OK correct? I am planning to run the amp at 2ohm to a single 15" or 18" in a large box (6ft^3-10ft^3 depending) and tuning to around 25hz-30hz.

Any opinions? NOT consisting of telling me to buy home audio sh!t. The whole point is to use stuff I already have laying around with the exception of the $40~ for the power supplies...

SaNdMaNsSi
08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Honestly, i've seen the best home audio setups using car audio that use the old style kicker subs. I can't rightly remember what they were called, I just know they weren't the kicker comps. The ones I'm talking about were the best subs of their time- Free air subs. It makes it very easy to make boxes that look like home theater and just mount the amps to the back of the boxes like a car.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
BUMP! doesn't look like it will sell so let me know what you think!

69gt4speed
08-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Here's some info on various pc power supplies. If you parallel 2 or more probably need a diode isolator (or gate) otherwise, if imbalanced voltages... one will feed into other one possibly. We did something like that for redundent power supplies. You need some big amp diodes on a heat sink. 50 piv @ 70amp. Now that will drop around .6v. Idk if you could tweek a pot to adj. for that drop. This link shows a atx 480 watt spec 1.3 down the page and puts out 28 amps at 12v....

What I would do is run 1 ps into a small car battery for pk loads just like a car setup if you insist doing this. How loud do you need it? 25/30 watts avg. should be more than needed at home w decent speakers. Cars are noisy, home is not. I run 100 watts rms per channel, more than enough for my 15" 4 cubic ft each spkrs. 10 watts avg. maybe 30 watts pk.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

sLoWnStEaDy
08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Looking for a lot of power... something like 300w rms atleast...
I have been discussing this on other forums too an dI think I got it figured out...