PDA

View Full Version : kind of a "buyer beware" type thing... Autozone

sLoWnStEaDy
08-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, I ditched the civic as my SPL competitor and picked up an Astro. I bought a pair of used 300A alternators for it and as soon as i got them, I took them to Autozone on 16th to have them tested. They both failed, EVERYTHING, they did not pass a single part of their test. So, I took them to Iowa Generator to have them fixed (person I bought them from was to pay the bill) and they called me the next day and said they are perfect. As a matter of fact they where putting out almost 140A at idle (800 engine RPM) and max'd over 300A.
I thought may be being H.O. alts might have messed with their test equpment. So I grabbed the smaller 220A off my Supercoupe, the 300A of my cadillac, the stocker off my Astro and the stocker (with roughly 200 miles) off my Jeep and the stocker of my malibu and took them all to be tested. Not a single one passed! EVERY single one of my alternators that are in 100% perfect working order putting out GREAT voltage and amperage failed at Autozone on 16th ave.

I just thought I would let you'all know... I just don't see how it could be wrong 7/7 times. I plan to talk to them tomorow and about it, not going ot be a d!ck or anything. I am just going to tell them the situation and suggest may be the machine gets looked at or something...

08-07-2009, 11:28 PM
there is a reason why we call that danger zone in muscatine...

I wont go there unless they have the part I need and oreilly's dont have it.

Drifte
08-07-2009, 11:49 PM
sounds like 7 times over time wasted. lol...its an over rated multi meter.

DragonUSMC
08-08-2009, 03:19 AM
I used to work for autozone... And most of the people cant learn a thing... which includes how to operate the volt meter, alternator, or starter tester.

If they hook just one of the sensor wires up incorrectly, it will read "fail test" all day long.