PDA

View Full Version : 8,800 cent fine

DustinsDuster
08-03-2009, 09:36 PM
so this guy's car got towed one night and he had to walk 15 some odd miles to get home. the next day he showed up to get his car, and had an $88 dollar fine to pay, which he tried to pay in pennies. three boxes of pennies. police involved, hour or so of time, absolutely awesome. i know what i'm doing next time i have to pay a bullshit fine...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80707337/

Xboosted23X
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
how many cops does it take

tylers88
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
o god that was beutiful

firstonraceday96
08-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Those cops are retarded. It is perfectly legal for the business to tell that kid to fuck off. Still pretty funny though.

Caleb
08-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Those cops are retarded. It is perfectly legal for the business to tell that kid to fuck off. Still pretty funny though.

And then give him his car back for free. Businesses can't do that if they have his property and refuse his payment of legal tender.

firstonraceday96
08-09-2009, 10:22 AM
The business can except payment what ever way they want and hold his car until they have the payment they except. It happens all the time... go to a gas station you will see "We do not accept bills larger than $50" "No Checks Accepted" etc. etc.

http://www.mtas.utk.edu/KnowledgeBase.n ... 310052C341 (http://www.mtas.utk.edu/KnowledgeBase.nsf/PrinterFriendlyProductWeb?OpenForm&ParentUNID=AB04FB8C07985FEC852570310052C341)

Caleb
08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Please remember that these legal opinions were written based on the facts of a given city at a certain time. The laws referenced in any opinion may have changed or may not be applicable to your city or circumstances.

go to a gas station you will see "We do not accept bills larger than $50" "No Checks Accepted" etc. etc.

Posted signs of regulation are fine, but I highly doubt that office had a sign put up therefore she had no choice but to take it. As stated from lots of people, if they accept cash as a form of *****payment a.k.a. dues***** without regulations, she has to take the pennies no matter how asinine it is. But you gotta look at it this way, a gas station doesn't own anything of value FROM the customer BUT they have signs posted regulating what they take.

All in all, it depends on how its looked at. I can refuse a sale at sears as stated in one of our policies against employee abuse. Such as if someone wanted to buy a TV with all pennies, but the thing is, we don't owe anything in exchange in the first place. Its something definitely to look in to.

SaNdMaNsSi
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Posted signs don't really mean anything. Just because someone posts a sign it doesn't mean its legal. For example, when you see a sign posted that says "car may be towed at owner's expense." Obviously the sign means "vehicle owner's expense." But in a court of law if you really wanted to be a dick and you were good enough you could twist those words to get a parking lot owner to pay your tow bill. Thats why you see signs now that explicitly state "vehicle owner's expense." Also, those signs don't mean much. They actually can't legally have your car towed in Cedar Rapids without the police first coming and tagging it for 72 hours, marking the tires, etc. They can't just tow it even if the sign says so. So the next time you want to park in a lot and walk across the street, go ahead- In CR until the laws change your car will still be sitting there when you get back.