PDA

View Full Version : My first competition

sLoWnStEaDy
07-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Was pretty damn fun!! 3rd place in Basic 2 and 2nd place in Extreme 1
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7379/midwestspl012.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/i/midwestspl012.jpg/)

plan to tweek a few things and hopefuly make it down to Mason City next weekend for another one...

Ricky
07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
nice. Congats!

Drifte
07-18-2009, 10:25 PM
ah I need a caddy to DD with a sound system. Lots of fun with that stuff, and not so finicky as a turbo engine to keep workin.

Stg4raddo
07-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Thought I saw you out at the shop. hopefully the next one at automotive electronics in september brings more people out to really fill in the classes.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah, that was pretty weak... I swear there where about 3X as many people there at 10:00 for qualifying than stayed for the actual comp. Josh Groves or Gross or whatever his name is with that black prelude is a fukkin retard. He was in our class (local 2) to begin with but since him and that other kid where like 10dB below everyone else they put them two in an empty class and he won. so of course he was like HAHA keith, i beat you, i got first place blah blah blah... It was pretty funny, I had to remind him that the only reason he got ANYTHING was because he was so far below my class that they had to put them in a class of their own just so they didn't pay to qualify and leave. LOL

My brother in law just gave me his Civic hatch so i should be much more competitive next time around. Hopeful we will make it to mason city next weeken but IDK...

Stg4raddo
07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
yea i wasnt competing i was working and i agree the black prelude kid was a tool. I had to talk to him for like 10 mins inside about his car. It was my girlfriends brothers first comp and he was happy. cant beat a 140.4 with two 10's and 700 watts

sLoWnStEaDy
07-19-2009, 10:30 AM
yea i wasnt competing i was working and i agree the black prelude kid was a tool. I had to talk to him for like 10 mins inside about his car. It was my girlfriends brothers first comp and he was happy. cant beat a 140.4 with two 10's and 700 watts

What vehicle was that? The CRX with those wal-mart 10's did like 146~ didn't it? I am thinking may be you GF's brother was in the red civic that had to do up against the black prelude...?

I do have to say I was not impressed with their rule enforcement though... I took a few hours putting EVERY stock piece back into my car, carpet and all as stated by the rules for that class. That dropped me almost 2 full dB up at Ultimate Mobile Concepts. Then when i got there, they didn't check ANYTHING, I seen quite a few obvious violations in more then one vehicle in my class... That prelude for example (well, he started in my class)

4-6 Rear seat backs in trunk vehicles may be folded or removed from the vehicle. Bottom part of the seat must remain.
4-9 All interior panels, including those in the trunk, hatch or cargo area must remain in place.
7-1 Nothing in the sound system may interfere with the normal daily use and/or operation of the vehicle. This includes equipment in the floor or on the seat.
7-3 Subwoofer enclosures and other equipment are to be mounted and secured for safety
7-10 The use of, but not limited to, glue, silicone and/or additional screws is not permitted to attach OEM panels in place.
8-6 Seats and seat backs must be fully functional when the enclosure is in its competition position. If the vehicle is an extended-cab or king-cab pickup truck with side mount seats, you do not need to be able to fold the side seats as normal operation.

I could keep going but you get the point... Granted most of the rules he violated weren't top try and get better scores but rather to hold that POS car together, still, a violation is a violation... Had i not taken it upon myself to know and FALLOW the rules I would have been closer to the 143~ I usualy do... If all comps are like that i will be taking some shit back out...

Stg4raddo
07-19-2009, 10:34 AM
it was a red durango he was in local 1 and was kinda pissed he didn't have to compete against more people. he could have gone to local 2 and done ok. but next time i think he will run basic 1 or 2

sLoWnStEaDy
07-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I remember that one... nice ride... as for the classes, all i know is that Extreme classes are not for the cadillac. If i could have found a song that held that 52hz~ tone i would have been good. I was peaking at 54hz~ and when that 52hz! tone in "go to sleep" was hitting i was up to a 122db but with the pauses and drops my qualifying average was down to like 110. Then the second time IDK WTF happened!! :)

Stg4raddo
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
try airforces i don't know what freq. it holds but its pretty steady

sLoWnStEaDy
07-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I have decided to make an SPL specific vehicle as I had a TON of fun at that comp. and it was pretty dang small!! So i had a vehicle donated to me by my brother in law (see pictures)... Also got an amp with roughly 6000 watts RMS @ 1ohm to play with :)... I think I am going to run a single 18", probably a fully loaded BTL or an HDC318 or I might just build one myself as that seemed to work out pretty good for the 15" in my cadillac

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2051/civic001g.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5374/civic002.jpg
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7213/civic003d.jpg
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7254/civic004.jpg

Drifte
07-19-2009, 05:30 PM
That should work out well. Will look for a future build.

Stg4raddo
07-21-2009, 08:19 AM
that civic should be loud. are you going advanced 1 or 2? or are you going to put in a wall?

sLoWnStEaDy
07-21-2009, 10:23 AM
that civic should be loud. are you going advanced 1 or 2? or are you going to put in a wall?

Can't decide for sure... I am thinking a wall with to HDC318's. I did a 143.6 out of the caddy trunk with my old HDC315 and about 1K watts. So a pair of 18's on 2K each should be fun! I have about 25ft^3 net if i do a wall... I wight just take out the rear seat and build a large box and go with a single 18" on 4K... I am going ot have to look through the rules again and see what classes I thikn I would be competative in...

Any suggestions for me?

tylers88
07-21-2009, 05:58 PM
hopefuly make it down to Mason City next weekend for another one...

shoot me a pm and i'll go cheer for ya, i live in mason city so like i said shoot me a pm and i'll try to make it

Stg4raddo
07-21-2009, 10:34 PM
idk maybe start in advanced 2 with just a big box. you would just have to keep power under 4kw shouldnt be a problem maybe just wire to 2 ohm instead of one depending on the amp. and if a big box isnt enough wall it up. and shoot for the high 150's

Drifte
07-21-2009, 11:45 PM
ill compete with my walmart $15 sub.

just you guys wait and see.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-22-2009, 07:15 AM
ill compete with my walmart $15 sub.

just you guys wait and see.

I am sure... The guy in the CRX had two wal-mart 10's and like 700W and kicked a lot of asses.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
couple things to add... I ditched the civic and picked up an Astro... going to run an Atomic APXX18 in roughyl 6ft^3 net at 40hz~ on a XXX-6500D with some GIANT batteries and a pair of HO lats, 4 runs of 1/0, 8" and 10" mids, along with some nice tweeters.

heres a video of my run against Josh and his prelude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBoc2yUqw0

Pics of the Astro I traded teh civic for:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9453/3k43pe3l9zzzzzzzzz97m6da.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1334/3n63kf3l8zzzzzzzzz97m2d.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7758/3p13o23l3zzzzzzzzz97m6d.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3681/3k83m43p2zzzzzzzzz97mf0.jpg

85XR7Project
08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Nice, I never knew they had some of these competitions around here. I used to have a pretty loud system in my 97 SHO way back in the day. Loudest around me anyway (I live in BFE so......)

Stg4raddo
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
going to be ready for the next one in CR? ill be their not sure if im working or not yet. but im putting something together to beat the 140.4 our last set up did. I might be doing 5ft^3 + port etc @ 40ish hz for a 15 but not sure yet might go small box with external aeros gotta run some numbers

sLoWnStEaDy
08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Not sure when the next one is but I am going to have it ready within a couple weeks I hope. Pretty much the only thing I am waiting on right now is all of my wire (about 200' of 1/0) and the recone for my Atomic APX...

since I down graded my cadillac to only about 1600 rms (Hifonics XX Zeus) I am going to pull the batteries out of it for now to use in the van until I get my big ass "WORKAHOLIC" 8D-XHD batteries to throw in it. I was planing to buy a few more BatCap 2000's to add to the pair I have now but I figure a pair of the 8d-XHD's in the van will be enough and that way I can throw the BatCaps back in the cadillac just to be safe. I can get the XHD's for about $50/ea which is the only reason I am going with such a massive battery.

Now I just need to sell some of the stuff I have laying around. I have a couple amps (Tsunami DB1100D and Massive P1500.1) as well as a couple motors/basket (Atomic APX motor, Massive DMX stage 2 with 12" basket and a 10" basket and a tiny ass motor I don't really knwo why I have.) you should grab the DMX motor from me and build yourself a nice 15" :bigthumb: I was planning to build it similar to the one I have in the cadillac right now (3" Quad 8-layer flatwound coils, triple stacked "extra stiff" 8" spiders, dual sewn leads etc...) I thought about throwing aluminum coils in there but decided to just go with the APX instead. something that can handle 35K+ watts will be fun to play with! Espescialy when I get my second 6500D

I am always open to trading some stuff so if you have anythign ot get rid of and you see something I have that you like LMK :biggrin:

sLoWnStEaDy
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh Yeah... as for the van, goal is 150+ which I don't think will be too hard in all honesty.

I even thought about may be reconing it to a 21" just fo rshits and giggles but a 21" with 3" coils wouldn't be too great. If I could get a nice 4HP motor though, I would be goin' 21" for sure! IA style!

Stg4raddo
08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
might have to look into the DMX but it would be later. Im probably going to stick with kicker since i have about a week to build a box and make adjustments. the next midwest spl show in cr is at AE on sep. 5th

150+ in a van should be doable with the right box etc.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Sep. 5th... DAMN... I better get a fukkin move on it!

If worst comes to worst I will just be tossing the entire setup from the cadillac in there just to make it to the show! I will have to make sure I bring some good tones this time! Playing music last time really killed me I think.

I hope Knukonceptz ships quick or I won't even have all of my wire in time :banghead:

EDIT: I just realized that is next saturday... I doubt my APX recone will even be here by then! I think I might just say F-that and grab an HDC318 instead! only about $50 more and I know it will be here within a few days.

Stg4raddo
08-26-2009, 09:41 PM
yea i havent ordered my stuff yet either so itll be a fun box build.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
LOL... at the last show... the glue on my box wasn't even 100% dry!

that is why we got there a little later than we planned, we literaly built that box about 2 hours before the show! Didn't even have time to paint the port or line the inside or anything! I think i might just end up taking the back of the rear seat out of the cadillac and flip the sub/port to face forward and see if that gains me anything.

After thinking about it I would rather wait and get the van 100% ready and just show up at a show and blow shit up. Plus I just found someone selling 4 18" APX's so I might have to go alittle bigger than I originaly planned if the deal between me an dhim works out! If nothign else, I will be there watching! I just wish I could find someone with a meter that don't charge $10 every time. I kind of hard to make adjustments and try out new things when you have ot spend $100+ just to see if you gained ANYTHING...

sLoWnStEaDy
08-26-2009, 10:08 PM
If you ever need a little hand or anythign liek that let me know. I get bored a lot and I can't seem to find anyone around here that actualy has a nice system that THEY worked on. I have heard some NICE ones but it's always like "I don't know anything about my system. I just dropped it of at the shop along with $2K and this is what I walked away with" type stuff...

Do you know anyone that can fix amps? That Massive P1500.1 needs a couple mosfets replaced and I am not much of a solderer so... I can get the fets and everything, just need someone to solder them all pretty like

Stg4raddo
08-27-2009, 06:02 AM
theirs a guy in dsm that fixes amps. when i get some free time im gonna play around with some broken amps and see if i can get them going but that's gonna be down the road. I know theirs a few guys on the car audio forums that will fix stuff.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, i checked out acouple people but the mosfets are $1/ea and the price to repair was over $120... It has 2 blown mosfets, its as simple as getting the two bad ones ouy and soldering in two new ones. I am just not that great at soldering so I don't really want to mess with it.

IDK, I'll probably just pul the bad ones and try to find a local place that can solder the new ones in.

Drifte
08-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I think I should sell my little car and get back into audio. I think I was the only freshman with 8 10's in my extended cab pickup...

i'd go like 4 6.5's these days lol. Im weird. The disposable cash for a vehicle and strict spl competition would be a blast.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I think I should sell my little car and get back into audio. I think I was the only freshman with 8 10's in my extended cab pickup...

i'd go like 4 6.5's these days lol. Im weird. The disposable cash for a vehicle and strict spl competition would be a blast.

you ever get the truck metered?

Also, if anyone cares, I have an Atomic APX motor I would part with as I just worked out a deal for a pair of APX 18"s so I won't need to recone this one afterall.... Or I could recone it and sell it right out... I can do any size you want and anything to handle from 1K-4K rms daily! I can either do my own recone (like the 15" in the cadillac) or an Atomic APX recone... Just throwing it out there...

Stg4raddo
08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
got my sub coming should be here tomorrow i hope. mid 140's with one 15 and a 700w amp? hmm we can hope lol

sLoWnStEaDy
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Whats the vehicle?

If you decide you want more power I will let you barrow one of my smaller amps for the competition 1200~ rms @ 1ohm and the other is 1600~ rms @ 1ohm

Or I'll sell the 1200 for $150. It is actualy rated at 1100W X 1 @ 1ohm RMS but that is at 12.5V so... benched it on 14V and got 142X rms on a true 1ohm load. Just too small for anything I have, I thought about using it for home audio or to run the mids in the van but.... I have a few others laying around so...

Drifte
08-27-2009, 08:32 PM
my 8 10's sucked. I've done louder with 1 10. It was for fun. I noticed someone on the ed forums with your avatar, you join their? Ben was doing a 1 or 2 sub HT test I had seen a comment in.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-27-2009, 10:44 PM
no... not on the ed forum...
I frequent:

caraudio.com
caraudioclassifieds.org
realmofexcursion.com
soundsolutionsaudio.com

and once in a while sounddomain.com but that site seems ot be full of 13 year old dhouche bags that don't know an ohm from the hole in their ass.