PDA

View Full Version : 89 TA GTA

sparkles
07-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Curious as to if anyone has seen this car around the Waterloo area. Beings how it might start an issue, thought I would post it in this section.http://www.se7enmotorsports.com/main.php/d/9555-3/062308burnout+062.jpg

DustinsDuster
07-10-2009, 02:22 PM
im waiting for Drifte to perk up with this one.

ZEE
07-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Doesn't look like a GTA to me. I used to have one.

sparkles
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, the wheels and tailights don't give it away or anything :roll: I shaved the spoiler and never put the emblems back on after painting. Also notice, no fender vents. Neither here or there. I'm not gonna argue about the car, it handled it's business just fine. I just wanna know if it's lurking around up there and if anyone knows the owner, Adam Bevard I believe his name is.

Domestic Disturbance
07-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, the wheels and tailights don't give it away or anything :roll: I shaved the spoiler and never put the emblems back on after painting. Also notice, no fender vents. Neither here or there. I'm not gonna argue about the car, it handled it's business just fine. I just wanna know if it's lurking around up there and if anyone knows the owner, Adam Bevard I believe his name is.

Calm down dude. There was obviously some things missing on it from a standard gta. Why would you shave the fender vents? Haven't seen it btw.

DustinsDuster
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
thats right- i remember seeing this car for sale over on DS while back. neat car- i was trying to get a couple people to buy it.

Drifte
07-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Haven't seen it running around, although I'd like to see what its up to.

sparkles
07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Why would you shave the fender vents? Haven't seen it btw.

GTA's never had the fender vents. Just the TA's. I shaved the spoiler on the decklid. Anyways, just trying to see if it's been spotted at the track or on the street up there at all. She got a dinged up a bit before I sold it and it might be sporting a new paint job. IDK.

DustinsDuster
07-11-2009, 08:01 AM
is it wired wrong? are the backup lights always on, or was it actually in reverse there?

sparkles
07-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Was backing into the burnout box at Hooter's the first night they had the burnout contest. Needless to say, I won.
http://www.se7enmotorsports.com/main.php/d/9594-3/062308burnout+075.jpg

Mufflover
07-11-2009, 09:45 AM
cool car how fast??

SLVR7
07-11-2009, 10:21 AM

It's getting a real motor and trans built for it. Junked the tpi, which was never gonna keep up with the motor you had it on. Cage and a 9 inch to come over the winter.

Domestic Disturbance
07-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Why would you shave the fender vents? Haven't seen it btw.

GTA's never had the fender vents. Just the TA's. I shaved the spoiler on the decklid. Anyways, just trying to see if it's been spotted at the track or on the street up there at all. She got a dinged up a bit before I sold it and it might be sporting a new paint job. IDK.

IC. Learn something every day. Clean looking car anyways.

sparkles
07-12-2009, 10:25 AM

It's getting a real motor and trans built for it. Junked the tpi, which was never gonna keep up with the motor you had it on. Cage and a 9 inch to come over the winter.

Haha. Real motor huh? 10.80s is pretty decent for a "fake motor" IMO. Especially if it was a TPI (which it wasn't) Tranny, I'll agree. A shift kit on a stock 700R4 and a stall doesn't hold up too well after a while. Kinda a waste of an all forged 383 if it's gonna get tossed. The heads needed upgraded. Stock Iron Eagles were choking it down a bit, but as far as the "TPI"goes, the Stealth Ram is supposed to flow 1000CFM.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/9257542.jpg
If I may ask, what's going in in it's place?

DustinsDuster
07-12-2009, 10:56 AM
x2 on the intake- stealth ram is a pretty decent EFI intake setup.

SLVR7
07-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Haha. Real motor huh? 10.80s is pretty decent for a "fake motor" IMO. Especially if it was a TPI (which it wasn't) Tranny, I'll agree. A shift kit on a stock 700R4 and a stall doesn't hold up too well after a while. Kinda a waste of an all forged 383 if it's gonna get tossed. The heads needed upgraded. Stock Iron Eagles were choking it down a bit, but as far as the "TPI"goes, the Stealth Ram is supposed to flow 1000CFM.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/9257542.jpg
If I may ask, what's going in in it's place?

10.80 right, maybe in the 1/8th. The dyno graph you had for the car was low 300s with the juice. Stock injectors and stock cpu, it was running extremely lean. After we brought it home, we took it apart to find it had 4 broken valve springs, 2 burnt valves, and it was clear by the pistons that you detonated the hell out of it. I pulled the heads and did a quick valve job and replaced the springs. Put a 750 race demon and a victor jr on it, and it took 88/96 jets to get the plugs to color up. Tell me how the tpi with stock injectors had enough fuel?

sparkles
07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
10.80 right, maybe in the 1/8th. The dyno graph you had for the car was low 300s with the juice. Stock injectors and stock cpu, it was running extremely lean. After we brought it home, we took it apart to find it had 4 broken valve springs, 2 burnt valves, and it was clear by the pistons that you detonated the hell out of it. I pulled the heads and did a quick valve job and replaced the springs. Put a 750 race demon and a victor jr on it, and it took 88/96 jets to get the plugs to color up. Tell me how the tpi with stock injectors had enough fuel?

Lol, yeah uh-huh. I replaced 2 valvesprings RIGHT before the car was sold. I said from the get go it needed some different heads on it. Those dyno numbers were without the juice, to the wheels, on Lund's Superflo dyno. Injectors? Yeah? I said they were stock. Did I say that's what was in the car while I had it? Nope.

Very interesting. Well, just wanted to check up on it. I highly doubt a lot of what was said based on the pure simple ignorant question that was emailed to me after it was bought: "hay, is the torque converter lock-up?" Umm...go drive it, figure it out. If you know some much about what stock "TPI"s are capable of and what not, then it shouldn't be that hard to figure out if your torque converter is locking up or not.

SLVR7
07-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Doubt all you want, I'm the the person who bought the car from you. Just the guy who has to fix it. Even without the juice, that shows how bad the combo was. Low three hundreds for a 383 is crap, so your saying with a 100 shot it ran 10.8?

sparkles
07-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Doubt all you want, I'm NOT the person who bought the car from you. Just the guy who has to fix it. Even without the juice, that shows how bad the combo was. Low three hundreds for a 383 is crap, so your saying with a 100 shot it ran 10.8?
Fixed that for you.

I'm going to explain this the best I can and keep my composure. I owned, built, drove, and raced the car so don't get it twisted into thinking I'm getting offended. Just wanting to shed some light. I'm going to explain it VERY clearly. After that I'm done. Don't want anyone getting all butt hurt about it.

The very same day I dyno'd it, my buddy's Mach 1 went on the dyno first. They're rated at 325hp from the factory. It had a complete exhaust with BBK long tube headers, Underdrive pulleys, SCT Tuner, CAI, and a NX Nitrous kit. ON MOTOR, it laid down 254hp and with a 100shot of the juice, it put down 304hp. THIS IS ALL TO THE WHEELS ON A SUPERFLO DYNO.

Now for the TA. Give me a sec...I've gotta go find the dyno sheet...Here we go.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/IMG_6720.jpg
Yeah, low 300's. That's a big torque difference. To the wheels. On motor.

So let's recap: A car that's rated at 325hp without bolt-ons, put down 304hp with all the bolt-ons and 100shot of nitrous.

10min later, the TA got on the rollers and laid out 339hp and 374lbtq on the motor. It had a 250shot to back it up on top of that.

Make your own conclusions. Finished.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/TAengineangle.jpg
MMMMMM...thems some big ol AN lines.

FiFdYnUtZ
07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
that 325 rating would be a crank rating on the ford..

DustinsDuster
07-13-2009, 02:22 PM
it's a TPI STYLE intake, but it is actually a stealth ram from the looks of it. big difference there...

sparkles
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
that 325 rating would be a crank rating on the ford..
Thanks Mr. Obvious. That was my point. A car rated at 325 to the crank only put down 254 with some decent bolt ons and a 5 speed. So then a car that put down 344 is in all reality putting out closer to 450 with an automatic without the sauce.

sparkles
07-13-2009, 05:04 PM
it's a TPI STYLE intake, but it is actually a stealth ram from the looks of it. big difference there...

Really, the HSR is modeled after their dual high rise carb intake. The only thing different is it has holes for injectors and the flanges only have 2 bolts per 4 runners. That and it has a plenum. Very ingenious way of taking what they already had and worked very well and adapting it for FI.

DustinsDuster
07-13-2009, 05:05 PM
yeah, was talking more about the TPI style throttlebody and what not, but i knew the stealth ram had a lot longer runners than the stock TPI

sparkles
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
yeah, was talking more about the TPI style throttlebody and what not, but i knew the stealth ram had a lot longer runners than the stock TPI

Actually the opposite. I believe the stock length on a TPI runner is 17 in. where as the HSR is 8 or less. Either way, it's a HUGE improvement over the stock setup and flows like crazy. The only other aftermarket intake that flows more for these cars is the ACCEL/Lingenfelter unit which I believe flows around 1200CFM

DustinsDuster
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
it was always explained to me that the TPI had short runners and made a ton of torque, and the stealth ram had longer runners for more HP. i never worked with either much, just had friends who did. i might be confusing it with the mini ram come to think of it...

SLVR7
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM
it was always explained to me that the TPI had short runners and made a ton of torque, and the stealth ram had longer runners for more HP. i never worked with either much, just had friends who did. i might be confusing it with the mini ram come to think of it...

The tpi had long runners for torque. They made use of the reversion effect, to make more power, thats why they called it a tuned port. While it improved low/mid torque, it hurt high end power, that why the hsr is the better setup if your going more than stock.

SLVR7
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Doubt all you want, I'm NOT the person who bought the car from you. Just the guy who has to fix it. Even without the juice, that shows how bad the combo was. Low three hundreds for a 383 is crap, so your saying with a 100 shot it ran 10.8?
Fixed that for you.

I'm going to explain this the best I can and keep my composure. I owned, built, drove, and raced the car so don't get it twisted into thinking I'm getting offended. Just wanting to shed some light. I'm going to explain it VERY clearly. After that I'm done. Don't want anyone getting all butt hurt about it.

The very same day I dyno'd it, my buddy's Mach 1 went on the dyno first. They're rated at 325hp from the factory. It had a complete exhaust with BBK long tube headers, Underdrive pulleys, SCT Tuner, CAI, and a NX Nitrous kit. ON MOTOR, it laid down 254hp and with a 100shot of the juice, it put down 304hp. THIS IS ALL TO THE WHEELS ON A SUPERFLO DYNO.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The car he bought, with the parts that were on the car, were never going to run in the 10s.

Now for the TA. Give me a sec...I've gotta go find the dyno sheet...Here we go.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/IMG_6720.jpg
Yeah, low 300's. That's a big torque difference. To the wheels. On motor.

So let's recap: A car that's rated at 325hp without bolt-ons, put down 304hp with all the bolt-ons and 100shot of nitrous.

10min later, the TA got on the rollers and laid out 339hp and 374lbtq on the motor. It had a 250shot to back it up on top of that.

Make your own conclusions. Finished.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/TAengineangle.jpg
MMMMMM...thems some big ol AN lines.

Domestic Disturbance
07-14-2009, 02:30 AM
Longer runners gives you more torque, and I think shorter runners are more high end & HP.

DustinsDuster
07-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Longer runners gives you more torque, and I think shorter runners are more high end & HP.

tunnel ram?

Domestic Disturbance
07-15-2009, 03:37 AM
I think the best case in point is newer wild street setups, like the 814ci N/A pump gas engine Hot Rod had an article on a few months ago. Because that particular engine was being built for street/strip purposes, and making I think north of 1500hp, they shortened the runner lengths considerably on the intake manifold so that it's low end torque was severely decreased so it had better manners. I'm not the most educated on tunnel ram intakes, but I think they are relatively well known for their top end, and hurting your low end power? Using this logic you would still think the torque would be increased down low, but they're are many other aspects that probably affect tunnel ram's design, like velocity, application, etc. In some cases it's probably too much, and its potential gains aren't worth its downsides. The intake is probably removing some restriction from a stock setup, but isn't delivering the necessary velocity with such long runners for the engine to perform at lower RPM, and the longer runners then being overkill. I hope someone else chimes in with more information than I know, and that can verify or correct what I said if need be.