PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Clinical
06-17-2009, 12:47 AM
My V6 mustang has developed a very loud obnoxious clicking noise up start-up and under acceleration.

After reading up on it and inspecting it, I definitely have a crack somewhere on my driver side exhaust manifold.

Anyone have any ideas how much I should look at paying to get this fixed? Definitely don't know my way around the car enough to do it myself.

Since it isn't an immediate threat to my driving of the car, I'm just trying to make sure I don't get as screwed as I did when I payed $500 for my fuel pump replacement.

I'm pissed it's doing this right when I'm trying to sell it - maybe some kid will like it because it makes it sound louder. Either way it's something I definitely want to get fixed.

Anyone know how much I should pay?

Scott
06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
high temp JB weld costs like 5-10 bucks.. and 500 bucks for a fuel pump doesnt sound like you got screwed to me. Fixing cars the right way is expensive

TbTalon94
06-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Why don't you take it off and take it to a welding shop to get it repaired? It won't cost you that much and it would be better then JB weld.

Scott
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I was just kidding with the JB weld.. I bet if you got on a mustang V-6 forum you can find someone who put headers on their car and you can get the stock ones cheap or something.. or just put headers on it. If you selling it then say fuck it and tell the people it needs to be fixed if your that broke you cant fix it.

Clinical
06-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Heh I pretty much am - I have about $600 to my name atm after spending 4grand to pay off the Mustang last week

Scorpion0308
06-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Isnt it funny how something ALWAYS has to go wrong with your car as you are selling it? Well, I guess its a lot more annoying than funny. My mom and dad were selling their Taurus back in the day, as the people were coming to pick it up, the rear axle broke :suspect: Damn fords anyway :p Rustangs are that bad though ;)

Clinical
06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh it has had the slight click for a long time - however right as I start to get ready to sell it - it suddenly just became obnoxiously loud one day.

stangvortech
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
you got raped for 500 for a pump I would have put it in for 100 with the pump...
It happens to most v6's....

NewSpeedSteed
06-17-2009, 08:55 PM
you got raped for 500 for a pump I would have put it in for 100 with the pump...
It happens to most v6's....

+1
You could have got a svt focus pump (flows higher than stock) for about a hundred bucks so I don't know how you managed to get screwed out of $500. Even if the pump would be 100 un-installed it doesn't take much to install it. I'm sure by now though that your tired of stuff going wrong with it and just want a new car so I can understand to an extent.

BlownPony306
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a good reason for a motor swap.

Clinical
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I actually had been planning on the SVT Focus pump and had a member here who was going to do the install for me for $50 - but it died literally about a week before I was going to do it - and I couldn't be without my car for more than a day.

DustinsDuster
06-17-2009, 09:55 PM
i think the point here is that you should get something to get you into working on cars- then you wont have to pay mechanic obscene amounts of money...

Clinical
06-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm slowly slowly getting there through small fixes / upgrades here and there - but still wouldn't want to tackle some of these things on my own incase of messing something up.

Next spring I should be able to get into some automotive classes at the college.

69gt4speed
06-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Kevin... guy at work just fixed his v6, they have shortys and one area it wasn't welded real good, I forget the side. Those are easy to pull off nothing like a cobra, to get it fixed/welded. New was 180 or something like that. Go to svtperformance.com there's a place which can sell you parts 10% over. Btw those shortys are made of 304 ss or 316 non magnetic, we put a rare earth mag to it wouldn't stick unlike my left thumb.

A v6 latemodel pushrod stang is the easiest thing to work on esp exhaust hdrs. Harbor freight tools will do. A lil pb blaster on the collector exh studs should do the trick. Probably reuse the gaskets. Have it welded or buy a new one. Do it cold as heads are alum. You could pm me, I have tools and would show you what to do. I also have a ford friend w tools/mig out of work he could do it.