PDA

View Full Version : Warren Michigan mayor orders buy American cars or get fired

69gt4speed
05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
You heard that right so come on import ppl what you think?

The mayor of Warren, Mich., has issued an executive order requiring that all political appointees drive an American-made car. For those who now drive a Honda or a Lexus? Get shopping.

According to mayor Jim Fouts, they have to guarantee that their next car purchase will be a vehicle made by General Motors, Chrysler or Ford.
To those who don’t want to make the switch?

“They can find another place to work,” Fouts said.

And he is determined that, someday soon, all city workers will join him in driving vehicles made by one of the Big Three. Teachers. Janitors. Sewer crews. Anyone pulling a paycheck from the city.

He's got a black charger btw.

Ricky
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
that is retarded.... i understand a company dress code but WTF! now they have to drive a BIG Three car? I would find another place to work rather then by a fucking GM, Ford or Chrysler. what a fuckin tool. The big three did it to them sleves. they are getting so much money and support now its ridiculous... and they are still hurting... FUCK EM!

Xboosted23X
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
i cant see how this would hold up. im sure there is going to be a law suit or two.
last time i checked honda had a plant in ohio. and mitsu is normal, ill. i guess ohio and Illinois are not in the united states of America anymore. must of joined up with Petoria

JacobS
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
thats what i was thinking^ most imports these days are made in the US.

69gt4speed
05-20-2009, 05:54 PM
When someone dared to point out that Honda and Toyota make many cars in the U.S. with U.S. workers, Fouts shrugged.....

Any more? Somebody else?

69gt4speed
05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm at will, for sure iowa is a at will state. I know a person employed at a big co. that was fired because he committed a crime outside the job and was in the newspaper. It defamed the co. they said... A lil clause was put in the handbook about being a upstanding person and not bringing disgrace on the co..
Employment
At Will
In the majority of states, employees not working under an employment contract are deemed to be "at will." At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it's not illegal. There are numerous illegal reasons for termination. Typically such reasons fall into one of two large categories: illegal discrimination or illegal termination in violation of a public policy. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract.

NewSpeedSteed
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Sad thing is that most cars made by the big 3 are made in Mexico or Canada. Last time I checked almost all Hondas and Toyotas come out of the plants in Kentucky and Tennessee areas. Gives a whole new meaning to "Made In America"

Drifte
05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
yeaaaa. this makes sense. Makes the mayor sound like some ignorant hick who landed a position of power. What exactly determines the car american? Anyway, whats next. They decide it has to be GM instead of Ford, and it has to be a truck. Thats just out of line. I can see where hes coming from but pretty rediculous. I like to say buy local, but Im not gonna tell people they have to or they cant work. Either way buying locally means your probably purchasing an import. And those janitors probably cant afford the payments on a new GM or the maintanance on an old one! Unless it was made in the 60's-70's.

rant over

DragonUSMC
05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Sad thing is that most cars made by the big 3 are made in Mexico or Canada. Last time I checked almost all Hondas and Toyotas come out of the plants in Kentucky and Tennessee areas. Gives a whole new meaning to "Made In America"

yeah no shit... i just got a crate 350 engine "direct from chevy" to put in a work truck... its got "made in mexico" stamped on EVERYTHING.

69gt4speed
05-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Link to one of many of same articles of what this mayor is doing.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... higan.html (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/05/gm-chrysler-warren-michigan.html)

Never mind his charger is made in canada....

He is basically saying either buy one of big 3 or you won't have jobs anyway due to lost tax revenue as the town is home to some gm and chrysler plants/facilities. Why he even threw ford in is ? really. I knew warren used to be a big gm town.

I guess looking all this over... worse case... your employer might possibly require you (if not under a contract) to buy your co. goods/services way this is looking.. Even though you might not like their product/service.. The co. can then stay in business and keep you employed. That's more or less way I take what the mayor is doing and why. If you don't like it quit or get fired.

Drifte
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFx0YKk- ... r_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFx0YKk-VgY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dsmtuners.com%2Fforums%2Fhan gout%2F336480-all-new-cars-35-5-mpg.html&feature=player_embedded)

69gt4speed
05-21-2009, 08:55 AM
^The terminator says buy our hi price sh-t or I'll be back...... Well the job deal I'm sure will go to court...imo we can hope ppl might do the right thing to preserve their jobs but not force them to do something they don't want or get fired.

black88gt
05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
that is retarded.... i understand a company dress code but WTF! now they have to drive a BIG Three car? I would find another place to work rather then by a fucking GM, Ford or Chrysler. what a fuckin tool. The big three did it to them sleves. they are getting so much money and support now its ridiculous... and they are still hurting... FUCK EM!

stupid ford, fucked themselves into outselling toyota. stupid bastards.

69gt4speed
05-21-2009, 04:31 PM
^ That might be true right now 88gt and I'm happy they are doing fair and did not take gov. money but sh-t changes, ford might be in the toilet soon, they sold a lot of car co. for cash.

My own opinion is a least try to buy usa made products if fairly comparable, I make a exception to a camaro or charger etc. made in canada, we buy most our oil from canada can't afford to p-ss them off.

Job economy like it is and you have a fairly hi paying job w no contract... well don't be surprised w the downturn, sales down etc. that co. or gov. doesn't try a few tricks. They know they have u by the b-lls... u just can't say I quit and find another job like it. The gm auto workers union just redid another contract. Don't know the details yet as it hasn't been voted.

Fire Hawk
05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
I feel some of the "foreign" companies are becoming more american then most people think. Toyota has been in the US for 52 years now. I really enjoy working for them and am very greatful for the job I have there.

Hell this 4th of July lets fly an american flag made in China. Shoot off fireworks made in Taiwan. Everything is getting blown out of porportion anymore with the situtation. People are going to buy that they want to buy. Would a diehard ford owner be happy having to go buy a gm or chrylser or a so called "import" that's made by americans in the US?

I'm going to buy what I want to buy. I'm not going to spend money on something that I don't care/want/forced upon myself. I'm sure most of everyone on here would agree with they'll spend their money on what they want.

JustinS
05-22-2009, 09:20 AM
One of the main mantras of my life is this:

If someone tells me that I shouldn't be able to have something, I will make it my mission to have it.

If someone tries to force me to do something retarded (like dictating that I buy from the Big 3) I'll tell 'em to go pound sand.

Its worked out pretty well so far.

black88gt
05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
^ That might be true right now 88gt and I'm happy they are doing fair and did not take gov. money but sh-t changes, ford might be in the toilet soon, they sold a lot of car co. for cash.

they shoulda taken it, hell the loans were forgiven anyway. but ya everyone is hurting and no ones knows when its going to end. There are too many factors to say "such and such fucked themselves"(while its probably the case w/ GM and Chrysler for sure). Hell porsche was asking for money.

69gt4speed
05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Would a diehard ford owner be happy having to go buy a gm or chrylser or a so called "import" that's made by americans in the US?

Diehard well yea I admit as much. Record speaks for itself...
Recently though I broke my tradition, got a villager which is a nissan quest made in ohio, engine in tenn. I could see buying a c5 ls vette.