PDA

View Full Version : Scrappage Program

black88gt
05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Fuck this bullshit. Better start stockpiling body parts. The current administration is getting old fast.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp ... index.html (http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp_0905w_gm_supports_federal_scrappage_program/index.html)

ZacFields
05-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Seems like this would cause used cars to become low in supply and high in price because people would be taking those old clunkers in to get a voucher for a new car.

black88gt
05-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Seems like this would cause used cars to become low in supply and high in price because people would be taking those old clunkers in to get a voucher for a new car.

yup, its a good part of the reason GM is supporting it(on top of being another arm of the government)

"Scrappage programs implemented in other countries around the world have proven to be very successful in re-invigorating car and truck sales."

krustindumm
05-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope it passes!

Maybe they should only allow people to trade in vehicles that have been in their possession with current registration for the last year.

69gt4speed
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Damn 88gt, reading super chevy.....You don't have to worry, they make every damn part for a fox or old stang or camaro. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that flood car junk down in the flood zone or somebody do something with it. There's a 63/4 galaxie sitting there in time check. I submit a visual inspection... if it's rusted out as my aerostar it's valid for a trade in though it runs fine. You need one?

Cars since Reagan yrs have been money pits, used to be you could deduct interest on a new car loan. Sold lots of new cars I'm telling you. Then it was gone... ppl drove them till they were crap. Me included.

Better idea....flood/disaster damaged home credit.. value of home was before flood/disaster applied to another home if insurance didn't cover it. Ppl would be happy then. I'm kidding but that's along same idea. There's always a disaster somewhere so thousands of homes would be built and/or sold.

I might add our local gov. has maintained same taxed property value on the flood damaged homes though they are a abandoned shell, what kind of bs is that? They are mighty quick to increase tax on improvements. They can't afford not to they say.

69gt4speed
05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Let me add a couple of other things w scrappage program... one.. personal property taxes/license plate fees are much higher on new cars. two.. insurance is much higher because you are most likely to need full coverage. I know those items well. I just want a way to get rid of unwanted/unused junk nothing more and the junk owners to get a credit or money. Ppl are weird sometimes holding on to stuff. You need a 87 short aerostar? It can haul a 302 mtr. I'm moving soon.

black88gt
05-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Damn 88gt, reading super chevy.....You don't have to worry, they make every damn part for a fox or old stang or camaro.

Often today's junk is tomorrows treasure. Think of bel airs, novas, non-ss chevelle/malibus, etc.; they were a dime a dozen in their day and they were known as cheap crap compared to a cadillac, pontiac, olds; now a rusted out shell is worth more than they cost new. Where do you find stupid stuff like a bracket?

another government fundraiser like emissions

69gt4speed
05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
That stuff is already gobbled up on a resto, if it isn't ppl are weird. Got to be talking 70's 80's stuff. You know mustang 2's, pintos, torinos, etc. The fact is I've been around a lil while, something always ticks me off w gov. They could have restated the new car interest write off, problem solved. That's way it was in 60's and 70's. I called for that several months ago before gm and chrysler was going under too far. Nothing new, it was just a way for ppl to buy new cars and offset new car ownership cost somewhat. Trade in worn out junk, get new. Like I said the gov. helped create this car mess in the first place. They needed mo revenue so they said to build star wars, etc.

Next thing they will do is eliminate mortgage interest deduction, then we will live in pos rv's, crappy apts. and worse. That's like a ripe $ cherry ready to be picked.

belittle
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I like this program. Mainly because I'm going to take advantage of it and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to give out the vouchers being as I'm a licensed dismantler in Iowa :)

69gt4speed
05-18-2009, 01:12 PM
See 88gt, this guy ^ could dismantle the cars and sell parts prob, get in the business. Build ur fox body w scrap cars. 81 granada, fairmont this, 80 tbird that. No one would have one of those. Did u know they made a granada fox wagon in 82? barrett jackson in 30 yrs.

black88gt
05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
the problem isnt with cars older cars as they have already become collectible

the point is what happens when we crush just about every used car for the next 20 years? No collectibles from this era outside vettes, mustangs, and camaros

69gt4speed
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Come on you think ppl be getting rid of their dale earnhardt monte or a turbo regal or gnx. Not likely. Latest news is sema is endorsing this w a couple additions... one.. no car over 25 yrs old be scrapped as most likely they aren't running anyway and two something about recyle of engines and trannys. You would get up to 4.5k to trade in on a new car getting 10mpg mo than one you had.

So in my case I could trade/scrap my 87 aerostar in on a new gt stang and get a rebate, low interest and a 4.5k voucher. I think I might look into it if passed. Oh yea off subject but I'm buying a place, get to collect the 8k also. It could need a couple of windows maybe collect on that too, energy savings.
Article w sema admendments...
http://blogs.customclassictrucks.com/65 ... index.html (http://blogs.customclassictrucks.com/6538272/classic-truck-news/amendments-offered-as-lawmakers-finalize-vehicle-scrappage-program/index.html)

Btw hold on..... new mpg standards announced tommorrow... buy your gt500/camaro/zr1 now...

black88gt
05-20-2009, 10:39 AM
yup i dont mind it w/ the sema amendments