PDA

View Full Version : Air-Force One stunt cost $328,835

ZacFields
05-06-2009, 03:45 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/06/ ... index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/06/air.force.one.flyover/index.html)

At least they're finally going to release the stupid picture. For $329k of taxpayer dollars, they ought to at least let us see the damn thing.

For those who aren't familiar with the story, they took Air Force One out on a low-altitude trip around New York City, trying to get pictures of it with the Statue of Liberty. The problem was that they didn't inform the city of what was going on, and it caused many businesses to close up for the day and many New Yorkers to flee the city.

Then they said they weren't going to release the pictures. The military estimates that the cost of the photo-op joy ride was $328,835.

Anyone ever heard of photoshop?

Fire Hawk
05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
from my understanding... i think it was cnn they stated they did inform the city what they were going to do..... but the city neglected to address the people of the photo shoot.

69gt4speed
05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
All I can say Zac is hope they sell a lot of pics to recoup the costs. Louis Caldera that did the whole thing was stupid and ill advised imo. Deputy Browne NYPD and Marc Mugnos city hall deputy, should be at least written up also for not infoming the citizens or mayor.

Anyhow I'd rather recoup some finger polish and massages by aig execs. At least dirty their nail jobs w my hoosier dr. Or even around here, ol Bob Miell hopefully is going to jail for screwing tenants over many times even though he's already making a boatload of money.

JacobS
05-07-2009, 12:26 PM
for 328k those better be some damn good photos!!

Drifte
05-07-2009, 03:33 PM
wow. who thinks of this stuff?! Coulda paid a new york high schooler to photo shop it and pay him $20.

ZacFields
05-08-2009, 01:15 AM
from my understanding... i think it was cnn they stated they did inform the city what they were going to do..... but the city neglected to address the people of the photo shoot.

Pretty close. They notified the local law enforcement and told them to keep it completely private. The mayor wasn't even informed.

DJ0820
05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
the government was pissing away 10 billion a month in iraq during the bush admin. maybe still. 329k is a drop in the bucket. and if you cant identify air force one in a low altitude fly-by maybe you deserve to die...

ZacFields
05-08-2009, 08:22 PM
They're still doing that Derek. I don't think Obama plans to completely pull out until like 2011 or 2012 but I haven't been following that very much.

I think everyone knew it was Air-Force one, but on 9/11 it was also flying around. Part of Air Force One's job is to basically load up with "important" political figures in the case of a catastrophe to save them and keep government alive. People weren't necessarily scared of the plane itself, but what it represents when it's just flying around in circles.

If we had a nuclear missile heading our way, Air Force One would be in the air likely with the president, vice president, and various people from his staff, for instance.

Didn't you watch "Independance Day?" lol

DJ0820
05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
If by completely pulling out you mean changing the names of the "combat troops" to "peace keepers". They will still be there regardless.

Nuclear missile? Not much the public can do about that. Maybe that's what NORAD does when they aren't tracking Santa.

69gt4speed
05-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Well I hear someone resigned because of the plane stunt.

Sorta off subject... I really hate ppl like Bob Miell that steal money directly from ppl like us. That landlord baron of c.r. has fkd so many tenants over that a judge has ordered most his properties to now be managed by others. I guess when he screwed american family ins/irs over he went a lil too far. Tenants are bringing criminal charges this month against him. Bottom line.. it isn't just about wasting money, it's about stealing money directly imo from the lil guy.

DJ0820
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Every time Air Force 1 takes off no matter where it's destination is it costs a shitload i'm sure.

ZacFields
05-10-2009, 01:12 PM
It does, Derek. The Air Force said that money would have been spent on another mission anyway, and the only reason anyone cares is because they saw it this time. Like, when you see a jet streaming across the sky, you can bet that it costs a similar ton of money for that, too.

It's not any secret that our government has always pissed away millions in taxpayer dollars daily ever since we first started paying taxes. You were saying it was a drop in the bucket compared to Iraq.... well actually it's even just a drop in the bucket in comparison to all government spending on that one day.

69gt4speed
05-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Cheer up Zac, Gates has recommended cancellation of 38 marine one helicopers and suspend any more f-22 raptors. We already have 100 of those. Total will be 183 planes.
Terminate program to build the F-22 Raptor Fighter Aircraft. Savings: $2.9 billion. Plus helicopers cost savings: $750 million. They will continue on with the jsf f-35 instead. Cheaper and close to f-22 performance and used by airforce, navy and marines and some other countries.

Another note... Meill is in jail. In jan he squirrelled away over 500k in rent money somewhere and they were afraid he would leave. So they revoked his bracelet deal. That I guess that makes me happy, he screwed over my friends and me before. Good riddance. Day before yesterday paper.