PDA

View Full Version : GM is Shutting Down Pontiac

ZacFields
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/p ... 2009042414 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?postversion=2009042414)

The announcement is expected to be on Monday. General Motors will be officially killing the Pontiac line of cars. This will severely decrease the amount of domestic cars available on the market.

It's a shame, but hopefully this move will help the American car industry in the long run.

Drifte
04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
so its gonna be called a GM Grand Am? Or Chevy GTP...weird

ZacFields
04-24-2009, 01:56 PM
No I think all those brands will just disappear if I understand correctly.

Drifte
04-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Keeping Oldsmobile and dropping Pontiac...thats a bold move. That loses a lot of cars, the kind of cars you see 20+ of a day.

[edit]
I guess Olds was dropped in 2000 according to that report. But the Olds Alero was around until 05?

FiFdYnUtZ
04-24-2009, 02:35 PM
oh well...i suppose in the long run that will make my car more unique then...

Ricky
04-24-2009, 03:04 PM
So what does that do to your moms warranty? or any new car parts made for the car? No parts from the dealer i take it?

SaNdMaNsSi
04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
They are doing the world a favor. In my experience, Pontiac makes the worst junk on the road. But then again, with Pontiac gone and the junk not rolling off the line, my business might drop drastically!

96-eclipse-gst
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I find it quite interesting how so many people seem to voice how they think GM makes junk. Simply because I have equally heard people talking about imports in the same way. Does everyone understand, cars break, cars have issues even when new. Not just GM's but every brand on the globe.

ZEE
04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Even if pontiac is shut down the warranty would still be honored by GM. Personally I'll believe Pontiac is gone when there is an official press release from GM. Not a we heard from joes cats friend in the alley thing. Even if joes cats friend in the alley told CNNMoney.

ZacFields
04-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah the warranty will still be honored by GM I'm sure. Just like if you own an Eagle Talon and they recall a part on it, you can take it to a Chrysler dealer to have it done.

I second what Andrew said. For the last 6 years my folks have owned a couple Pontiacs and they have been great for them. So much that for the first time, my parents bought a new car and didn't trade in the old one (the GTP) so they could just keep it.

And my Cavalier is at 145k with absolutely no signs of dying anytime soon. Most expensive fix was the alternator I replaced 2 years ago :)

krustindumm
04-24-2009, 07:50 PM
I find it quite interesting how so many people seem to voice how they think GM makes junk. Simply because I have equally heard people talking about imports in the same way. Does everyone understand, cars break, cars have issues even when new. Not just GM's but every brand on the globe.

GM is junk. Work on cars everyday, then you will see why.

FiFdYnUtZ
04-24-2009, 08:17 PM
funny every mechanic i have talked to says that about ford/dodge/dsm...

Drifte
04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
My DSM is awesome lol.

BTW, dont take a Talon to Mitsubishi and expect anything. "its not the same" is what they'll tell ya. Fine, jerk offs.

30lbsboost
04-24-2009, 09:48 PM

You must not have been working on cars very long becouse they are ALL junk in their own way,
most people just prefer a certain brand

04-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Its a car every car has problems not a single car is safe. Hell when I sold cars at millers in CR new subies with 12k miles came in with piston slap. Its a mechanical object and things will break. Some break more but the fact is if we all had a million dollars these cars would be kept in perfect running order doing everything the service man. says.

But Personally I hope GM ford and Chrysler file for BK. Get the UAW out of detroit and profits will start to go up instead of spending. Besides people that work at Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and Subie plants here in the US make a damn fine living with out the union to get greedy and screw evertying up. But until the unions are gone they will keep losing money until they are gone.

I do like some pontiacs some are just god awful but thats the same with alot of cars. I would tell customers (more if they were friends) to no buy some of my products because I rather have happy customers instead of seeing them every other week while in the shop. I wouldnt sell a nissan Van those things were junk! plain and simple. I hated them. I sent a friend that was looking at a van to toyota to another friend that sold cars there to buy a van because he would of been alot happier with the toyota.

But back to the story. Fiat is looking into purchasing GM's Opel division. (german car) and The nissan titan is rumored to be on the dodge ram chassy in a couple of years... But with a diesel. things need to be changed and soon.

tylers88
04-25-2009, 10:27 AM
A Titan with a Cummins would rock, but it was inevitable that GM ditches some of its "other" brands. My girlfriend has had 3 Grand Ams, the last one effecionatly know as the Grand Slam was a great high school car. Paid a grand for it, drove it a year, blew it up, drove it 2 more years, wrecked it and finally sold it for $800. It ended up with about $2500 into it with the original purchase price and it was still taking ALL of my abuse like a champ, I was going to buuy it but I got raped on my taxes so I didn't have the money for it. She now drives a 99 Monte with just shy of 170,000 still has lots of power gets great mpg, it has the 3800 in it so that helps but it is a great car that I plan on taking to 300,000 mile mark.

Domestic Disturbance
04-25-2009, 03:29 PM

You must not have been working on cars very long becouse they are ALL JUNK IN THEIR OWN WAY
most people just prefer a certain brand
except 4th gen fbodies, right? haha

ZEE
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
The Unions won't go anywhere. Contracts will be renegotiated and they will still be there. Besides our messiah Obama is pro union. I really don't see what people have against unions in general. Even if the UAW was some corrupt entity, it doesn't make all unions that way. Not all unions operate the same way. If it wasn't for the UAW bringing up the wage base Nissan, Toyota, Honda, and Subie employees wouldn't be making crap. They have to have wages close to a union wage to be competitive in the jobs market.

krustindumm
04-25-2009, 06:33 PM

The worst. The window regulators are riveted to fiberglass, and the trim is spring clipped to the fiberglass. Good planning there.

My problem with GM's is the continued problems, primarily dexcool and lower intake gaskets. All cars have their problems. Toyota had bad coolant pumps in the Camry and Corolla. They identified, corrected, and repaired. Lower intake manifold gaskets continued to be a problem throughout generation after generation. Dexcool turns to sludge when combined when it combines with air.... .... ....right. Who let that one through?

ZacFields
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah Krustin I had dexcool flushed out of my cavalier about 4 years ago and put the green stuff in there.

They told me when they were rinsing out the system, there were long strings of goo that came out with the coolant. Disgusting.

ZEE
04-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I hate freon free AC. Never cools well when idling. never had that problem with freon. Damn tree huggers.

krustindumm
04-25-2009, 11:34 PM
I hate freon free AC. Never cools well when idling. never had that problem with freon. Damn tree huggers.

Haven't seen one of those in a car yet, but they will be required in Europe starting in 2011.

Drifte
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I think Zee was referring to the r-12 to 134a change...but I could be wrong.

Domestic Disturbance
04-26-2009, 02:57 PM

The worst

:CALLBS: haha. Its not an s10

ZEE
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I think Zee was referring to the r-12 to 134a change...but I could be wrong.

That's it. :banghead:

Mufflover
04-28-2009, 10:20 AM
oh well...i suppose in the long run that will make my car more unique then...

lol. thats like saying the pinto is unique

DustinsDuster
04-28-2009, 01:36 PM
hey, i think Pinto's are pretty awesome. they always do well in wheelie contests...

Scott
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Lol very true dustin!

69gt4speed
04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Guy at work is putting down sat 1k for a black/silver ss ls3 leather camaro w 6 speed. Cost 36k. What is strange is they are allocating them in batches. So his camaro might be here in late summer. Guess they figure most will be a v6.

ZEE
04-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Guess they figure most will be a v6.

Just like the Mustang. The majority sold are v6's.