PDA

View Full Version : Might Be Moving Out Of State (Updated @ Bottom)

NewSpeedSteed
04-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Like the title says, I might be moving out of state due to alot of reasons:
Friday (4/3) I lost my job at Highway Equipment Co. because of cutbacks and etc. I was being trained as a painter there (painting units and small parts) and honestly it was alot of fun, I wore a white suit, had the mask and painted in a booth- think auto body stuff, and yeah it really appealed to me. Anyway, that wasn't my original job but I was learning it because the more you know the more valuable you are to the company. I had been painting off and on for about a year there, last month they wanted to see how good I was so they watched me for 30 days and ended up deciding that I wasn't good enough I guess. So they let me go after going on 3 years working there!

I had been toying with the idea of putting a down payment for a house within the next year so that really hurts those plans and jobs in CR and in Iowa in general are getting tougher to find. I told my girlfriend who lives in South GA; long distance relationship, kinda hard to explain but we have met and get along great, and are talking marriage in the not so distant future.

She apparently told her friends and family what happened and her grandparents have offered to give me one of their farmhouses. The rest of her family (including her dad who doesn't care for me much because "I'm a Yankee :suspect:" ) have found about 50 jobs for me down there! Jobs are ranging from warehouse and factory work to IT style jobs, her aunt who works for a military base is talking to get me on there sandblasting and servicing equipment since I have background with machinery. Talking with her folks made it seem like even if I can't find work right away I can draw unemployment still and do farm work for them and they'd pay me cash.

As for the house, its pretty big IMHO (4 bedrooms, 2 full baths, living room, finished attic, sheltered in ground pool, with pool house) her grandfather was born there and her dad proposed to her mom in the same house so its old and has history. It also needs renovation, that apparently her grandparents are going to pay for if I do the work. It currently does not have a garage or shed though, just a big tin 3 car carport. They told me that I can build a garage or w/e as big as I please! :drool:

I've been looking at getting rid of the Jeep and looking at cars for a new daily driver, and have come across alot of 60s and 70s muscle cars dirt cheap, rust free and dam near mint. Needless to say I'm getting excited about the move. It is really weird though, thinking about leaving Iowa and everyone I've ever known. I am flying down there this Thursday (4/9) and staying for about a week to job hunt. If I find work I'm gone, I've talked to a few people and they have all said that I'd be stupid if I didn't at least give it a chance, others called it a chance of a lifetime. Either way, she likes it up here because of snow so give it a few years and we should be back. I'll post updates and pictures as I know more info.

Discuss.

I got back to IA Sunday (4/19) and I had a blast. We did a bit of job hunting and sadly nothing much came out of it. Its funny because a week before I left there were quite a few businesses hieing, but when I got there I was told that they weren't taking applications any longer. Her family told me that I should go to a tech college for something (there pushing me to get a networking degree or pc degree) and I found I could still draw unemployment for as long as I attend college there. Unemployment would amount to about $370 a week and on top of that her family wants me to do odd jobs and possibly work on their farm; they grow cotton, corn, peanuts, soy-beans and raise cattle. Her grandfather has no problem with the fact I know nothing about farming and is willing to teach me the trade. I am still doing applications and Sara (my girl) is still finding me new opportunities down there.

College classes down there start Sept. 30th so I'll be moving down there by mid July or early Aug. at the latest. I know there is alot of unanswered questions and alot of things that could fail... but I just need to trust in this. Like people have told me: "Its a once in a lifetime opportunity" and they are right, worse case scenario would be I move back, so what do I have to lose?

snickerlicker
04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Sounds good! No reason to stick around here. I say do it.

Drifte
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
if your about to move onto a farm, you may want to keep that jeep.

TbTalon94
04-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Sounds like a great opportunity to me. There should be no reason in stoping you in doing what feels right. It sounds like a whole bunch of positives with the only negative being leaving your family/friends here. Much easier to keep a long-distance relationship between family/friends then it is a girlfriend/wife ;)

DustinsDuster
04-07-2009, 02:56 PM
perfect reason to get out of iowa- seems everyone's always looking for one of those...q

sLoWnStEaDy
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
GO!

I have been looking at places in other states for a while but decided i need something more stable for a career so I have decided to quit painting and just get my CDL. I say go, get the fuck out of here. as for reasons to leave, you mean besides that blacks, mexicans and now gay marriage... there are plenty...

(hide me in your luggage)

JacobS
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
go. no reason to stick around here...

DJ0820
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
my job is the only thing that keeps me here... i'd like to move to a place where you can go outside during the winter and not have the risk of dying

69gt4speed
04-13-2009, 01:02 PM
I like the idea, you're at a good age to do it and sounds like a good deal. I don't think they have emission bs either. You find some good 69 parts let me know....