PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try pre cut tint?

Luminatorz34
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Just out of curiousty, i see alot of pre cut window tint on ebay, and was curious if anyone ever bought a set and tried their own luck with it? im thinking bout it myself. so yeah any input would be nice, thanks

Ricky
04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
dont do it. i tried it on the jetta.... didnt work. just pay a shop to do it.

FiFdYnUtZ
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
werd^

derek072887
04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
i did it on my celica... if you know what you are doing you will be fine... just keep the window and tint really wet on both sides and you will be fine....

Ricky
04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
reallly really really wet!

derek072887
04-05-2009, 12:00 PM
yep

Luminatorz34
04-05-2009, 07:03 PM
you reccommend a soap/water solution to soak it? or windex?

Ricky
04-06-2009, 04:27 PM
i wouldnt use windex... i would use a little soap and water

FiFdYnUtZ
04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
my buddy who tints professionally uses a couple drops of baby shampoo in his water and sprays it on...

derek072887
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
yea spray for sure and a little soap or baby shampoo would work great, windex can actually break down the adhesive where soapy water just keeps it from sticking... you know what i mean

Luminatorz34
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
well, i guess ill give this a try then, and see how it goes then

Ricky
04-07-2009, 06:49 AM
good luck

Luminatorz34
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
thanks...its only 30 bucks...so if i mess it up, no biggie

darkdan
05-01-2009, 05:16 AM
Don't waste your time or money.

Even if you get it on there, precut tint is usually the cheapest made in Korea crap they can find (how else can they turn a profit on $30?). So you'd be lucky if it's not purple within the first year. Some get adhesive failure about that time and start to distort and go wavy.

Plus, F-bodies have horribly curved side window glass. Which means the tint has to be heat formed. What you do have going for you is the fact it's frameless, which helps.

But any DIY is going to look like crap upon close inspection. It takes years of practice to get the tint on without any contamination between the film and glass.

I'm a bit bias though, I'm only a window tinter. LOL. Yesterday I had a Cadillac STS that was giving me hell! Took 3 tries to get one window done, then 2 tries on two others. Even the pros struggle some days.

Cutting the tint is the easiest part.

05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
^ how much would you charge to do a Talon?

35% all the way around?

Drifte
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
hes in Minnesota if it makes a difference....

darkdan, you do the yellow headlight tint, how hard is that? I'd kind of like to try it.

Luminatorz34
05-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Don't waste your time or money.

Even if you get it on there, precut tint is usually the cheapest made in Korea crap they can find (how else can they turn a profit on $30?). So you'd be lucky if it's not purple within the first year. Some get adhesive failure about that time and start to distort and go wavy.

Plus, F-bodies have horribly curved side window glass. Which means the tint has to be heat formed. What you do have going for you is the fact it's frameless, which helps.

But any DIY is going to look like crap upon close inspection. It takes years of practice to get the tint on without any contamination between the film and glass.

I'm a bit bias though, I'm only a window tinter. LOL. Yesterday I had a Cadillac STS that was giving me hell! Took 3 tries to get one window done, then 2 tries on two others. Even the pros struggle some days.

Cutting the tint is the easiest part.

thanks for your input...i recently acquired a monte carlo, thats too light on the interior. if you know what i mean..i foot the 135 for the professional job on the 'maro, best money i spent yet...but cant see spending that on just a work car monte carlo

darkdan
05-03-2009, 08:06 AM
^ how much would you charge to do a Talon?

35% all the way around?

Yeah, I'm in Owatonna, MN. Which is about 3.5 hours from CR. But you're welcome to make the drive. It would be a record for distance. I think the previous record for someone coming to me is about 120 miles.

hes in Minnesota if it makes a difference....

darkdan, you do the yellow headlight tint, how hard is that? I'd kind of like to try it.

Depending on the headlights, it's either pretty straight forward or it's almost impossible. The stuff isn't regular window tint (because that won't last outside). Instead most of them are a really thick vinyl. It takes a lot of heat, a lot of stretching, and a lot of mashing.

It's also illegal on headlights.