PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a graphics card laying around?

96-eclipse-gst
03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I have been trying to get a game to work. Lots of other people have been having issues and I would like to know if its just my hardware setup or if its the game itself. Anyone have a 256mb or great graphics card lying around I could pop in to test. Please let me know, I would rather not have to buy a graphics card to find out its just the game and not my hardware.

Fire Hawk
03-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I have been trying to get a game to work. Lots of other people have been having issues and I would like to know if its just my hardware setup or if its the game itself. Anyone have a 256mb or great graphics card lying around I could pop in to test. Please let me know, I would rather not have to buy a graphics card to find out its just the game and not my hardware.

What game are we talking about and what card are you running? The reason why I ask is cause of L4D, with ATI's newest drivers I could not run Crossfire anymore with my setup and L4D would crash/freeze constantly. I had to roll back to old drivers to keep crossfire and I have not had the game crash since then.

96-eclipse-gst
03-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Empire Total War, it requires a dedicated 256 mb graphics card. My graphics card is only 128mb, but there are those who have just outrageous systems and they too have the same issue I do. So I would like to if possible just swap a card in and see if anything changes. That way I know if I spend $xx Im not wasting it.

Fire Hawk
03-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Usually if there's a problem that everyone is having. I would put money on that it's newer drivers for graphics cards, game update that are conflicting. What seems to be the problem that's happening?

96-eclipse-gst
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I managed to install the game. Load it all up. Whenever I try to start a turtorial or the actual game it goes to a loading screen with a bar. The bar will work its way up. When it gets to about 50% then it flickers between 40-50% and you can hear the game start. The advisor starts talking the cursor will change as you move around and obviously go over something, but it just stays on the loading screen with the loading bar flickering. Updated drivers, still the same problem.

Now I read today that one guy who had the same problem broke down and bought more ram and a new graphics card and he is now playing the game. So I am questioning my hardware.

Fire Hawk
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I managed to install the game. Load it all up. Whenever I try to start a turtorial or the actual game it goes to a loading screen with a bar. The bar will work its way up. When it gets to about 50% then it flickers between 40-50% and you can hear the game start. The advisor starts talking the cursor will change as you move around and obviously go over something, but it just stays on the loading screen with the loading bar flickering. Updated drivers, still the same problem.

Now I read today that one guy who had the same problem broke down and bought more ram and a new graphics card and he is now playing the game. So I am questioning my hardware.

It may be that (hardware) and if your running a card that's 1/2 of the recommended min then yes and upgrade would be in order. The thing I would suggest to do is roll back to an older driver for your graphic card.

Like I stated in my 1st post, the most current drivers do not like my system setup and freaks out kind of like what you have going on. It's worth a shot to go to an older driver that's been proven to work.