PDA

View Full Version : Project Car?

Clinical
03-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Well I'm taking some entry level bodyshop classes in College in the fall semester, and the way it works is all the materials are provided unless you want to do extra.

You work on a project provided by the College, or you can bring in your own project. You can also use the shop whenever you wish even if it isnt your class time if you are taking any of that shop area's classes assuming the space isn't being used. There's even an area for you to leave your project.

Anyways, I'd definitely like my learning and work to go towards my own project.
So I've been looking around at cheap things that at least run & drive so I could get it to home and back.

I was told to get a foxbody stang, but I've looked and I just can't find anything less than 1k

I really don't want to spend more than $500

My main question:
I found a 3.1L 3rd gen Camaro. Runs & Drives decent
Body is in pretty rough shape, has some rust, paint is faded/cracking/chipped everywhere. has a lot of dents/scratches (nothing that looks like it has been crashed or anything)Front bumper is missing a small chunk from it - no T-Tops :(

Anyway, the guy is asking $800 but said he'd take $500 cash - it's in really rough shape but starts and runs pretty dang good. Think I should go ahead with it? I've always enjoyed the thought of driving around in the summer in a 3rd gen blaring "Rock you like a hurricane" among other 80's rock - and wearing a mullet wig as well :P

warchild145
03-08-2009, 11:57 PM
For $500 you probably can't go wrong if it runs and drives IMO. Plus it sounds it has a little bit of everything to learn on for your body shop class as well.

3rd gens are decent cars, I have had a couple and are pretty easy to work on so should be a nice little project for ya plus parts are fairly cheap as well.

LayneAlways
03-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Hell yah! :D

DustinsDuster
03-09-2009, 03:42 AM
id make sure the undercarriage isnt too rusty at all; bodywork isnt nearly as bad as replacing floorpans...

Scott
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I got a 94 GT mustang with a 5.0 in it. Its got a big dent in front fender and a few small other dings in it. 2k bucks you can have it, lots and lots of new parts. with a new fender and a good cleaning it would make you some money Im just running outta extra time to do it myself.

Clinical
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I got a 94 GT mustang with a 5.0 in it. Its got a big dent in front fender and a few small other dings in it. 2k bucks you can have it, lots and lots of new parts. with a new fender and a good cleaning it would make you some money Im just running outta extra time to do it myself.

Heh as much as I'd love it - I really can not spend more than $500 atm - which is why I made that specific offer to the guy :P

LayneAlways
03-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Dang scott I would of taken that a couple months ago, too bad I'm out of the market, and personally I think you should go with that third gen, I'm a die hard fan.

DJ0820
03-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I've always enjoyed the thought of driving around in the summer in a 3rd gen blaring "Rock you like a hurricane" among other 80's rock - and wearing a mullet wig as well :P

Did that in a buddies foxbody a while back, except the song was Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock"