PDA

View Full Version : Custom piece for a certain Evo

TbTalon94
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Well the stock tranny mount in the rear of Evo's is a heafty piece. Not only does it weigh a bit but, it's difficult to get at/remove. So it was decided to create a race only piece that would not only shed a little bit of weight but make it easier to get at and remove..in turn making the tranny easier to remove....

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/TAB-FAB/SidebySide.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/TAB-FAB/Welds.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/Tbtalon94/TAB-FAB/Welds2.jpg

-Trevor

Drifte
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Looks nice, but seems lacking in triangulation for strength. Then again I dont know where it goes. This doesnt add another bar but moves them to make them support off of each other. I assume their wasnt room for a 3rd is why its not their.

krustindumm
02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I'd work on that a bit. The bolt on top looks like it is loaded in shear, and your rods would then be in a bending load. Maybe it's not heavily loaded, but it looks like a torque mount to me, which is.

I would use a design more similar to the stock piece. The rod in the stock mount is loaded in tension/compression, which is optimal. So if you used a machined aluminum mount to replace the stock cast and aluminum part, then used a small tube with threaded rod ends/heims for easy alignment.

TbTalon94
02-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Just to clarify this is just a proto-type yet. It's going on a motor that has very little to no movement so keep that in mind. A 3rd bar couldn't be added due to space also how the bars are positioned is due to space. We will see how it fits and make revisions as needed. The piece is basically to aid in tranny removal as there isn't much weight on the mount. Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep them coming.

Drifte
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Do you have a picture of where it goes on the car? I assume this is the mount you were talking to Jesse about Sat. Night.

Jappbox
02-25-2009, 06:04 AM
The car Allready has a Solid motor mount in the front, Two poly solid side motor mounts. I would say this mount does not take much load. The turbo sits on the front of the engine, and a solid front is going stop any engine trave back under a load. That purple bushing in the stock mount is a solid poly mount as well, does not give any. If I was using all stock mounts and then this solid mount in back I could see how it could cause a problem. when removing this mount to give to trevor I had no weight on this stock mount at all didnt have to move/rock the motor, or use a pry bar.

Looks Awesome Trevor!

krustindumm
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
if there's no stress on it...leave it out.

Jappbox
02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
there "might" be stress on it under some load. cant just have 2 side mounts, and nothing in the back in case it would move.

DJ0820
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
At the very least run a cross-bar between the two rods

TbTalon94
03-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Here's the installed pictures. Now you guys can see why the bars are ran how they are.

Scott
03-02-2009, 07:02 AM
not sure excatly where the bracket is located there, I know with american cars at least the trans crossmember does very little for support, actually my modified circle track car doesnt even use a trans mount at all!! but I do know that even if your running a solid engine mount you still keep a bushing of some sort on the trans to provide room for movement and flex so it doesnt stress the trans case.. I have already split a powerglide trans case in half and I cant say it was for sure because of this but Im pretty confident. something to think about at least esp with hard launching cars

TbTalon94
03-02-2009, 07:05 AM
We debated on re-using the stock bushing for the connection to the mount. It came down to that he has a solid front motor mount. The motor doesn't rock, at all. Again this is a proto-type, and revisions will be made later if needed.

Drifte
03-02-2009, 07:59 AM
ya put all 800lb ft torque through it tough guy LOL?

TbTalon94
03-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Alright, here is his FRONT motor mount. SOLID as a rock.

Scott
03-02-2009, 08:15 AM
yeah but arent the top 2 motor mounts bushings?? and what about flex of the chassis/sheetmetal up there.. I dont even know where this mount is located at but I thought mine would be solid enough too untill all my trans fluid was leaking on the ground from a crack all the way around the transmission

TbTalon94
03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
This is located in the back by the firewall, bolted to the trans. There are 3 other mounts, one being the solid AMS front mount, and 2 side mounts (one on the motor, one on the trans) with solid Poly bushings in them. This type of mount has been made before, and ran on a track car. The only reason for it is weight reduction and ease of removing it for trans/x-fer case work.