PDA

View Full Version : Evo vs. Sti talk

K-ville
02-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Okay some im thinking about buying one or the other for my wife to drive she can drive well and loves quick cars so ive been eyeballing evo's and sti's.... she already has a 02 wrx and loves it and she prefers the looks of the sti over the evo but heres where things will get ugly haha I was wondering what your guys opinions of pros and cons are for each of the cars?! now dont look at this as a wich is best sort of thing because i already understand from what ive see the evo has the ability to be much quicker cheaper in a straight line but if im gonna dragrace Ill be in my fox! what im wanting to know are things like comfort? whats nicer for daily driving? wich handles better in stock form? and things like this..... im not goin to be upgrading what ever I get its staying stock so lets hear it!!
oh yea i should also say im looking at 04 to 05 sti's cant afford the new ones

Drifte
02-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Go to a dealership and sit in an STI then sit in an EVO. I think the answer will be obvious for you after doing this.

Ricky
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
i think stock vs stock the sti is a bit quicker and the awd system is better (if you plan on driving in it in the winter) thing is.... the sti only came in a BLUE interior... Evo's are still comfortable and its a smaller engine. STI has a 6 speed that is strong as hell and the evo has a 5 speed that is strong as hell. if you are not going to mod it and drive it stock the whole time i would go STI but im a subaru guy. they both can do very well in corners in stock form. in the end its was she likes and feels conferable in

FiFdYnUtZ
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
if it means anything irc when top gear tested both the evo won in the power and handling categories...but i think the deciding factor for you/her would be a test drive in both..

K-ville
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
if it means anything irc when top gear tested both the evo won in the power and handling categories...but i think the deciding factor for you/her would be a test drive in both..
that would be nice but these dealers in desmoines wont let me drive either one
Go to a dealership and sit in an STI then sit in an EVO. I think the answer will be obvious for you after doing this. whats your point?

TbTalon94
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
If it's just for a DD and for your wife, i'd probably do a Suby. The torque of the boxter engine is really nice and much easier to drive.

I drive my Evo whenever I can, which is almost every day. Granted mine is modded...with an aftermarket ecu, I absolutly love it. The power delivery is great, handing is awesome, stopping is great, it's very comfortable and easy to drive.

When it comes down to the decision, it's basically what feels/looks better to you driving it. They both are pretty equal I believe stock vs stock.

If had to do it all over again, I wouldn't chose an STI over my Evo :)

just my 2lbs of boost.

ps. Evo's don't come with cruise control....so keep that in mind lol

K-ville
02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
If it's just for a DD and for your wife, i'd probably do a Suby. The torque of the boxter engine is really nice and much easier to drive.

I drive my Evo whenever I can, which is almost every day. Granted mine is modded...with an aftermarket ecu, I absolutly love it. The power delivery is great, handing is awesome, stopping is great, it's very comfortable and easy to drive.

When it comes down to the decision, it's basically what feels/looks better to you driving it. They both are pretty equal I believe stock vs stock.

If had to do it all over again, I wouldn't chose an STI over my Evo :)

just my 2lbs of boost.

ps. Evo's don't come with cruise control....so keep that in mind lol
good yet slightly bias info haha thanks thats the kinda info im lookin for!

Jappbox
02-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Evos will all ways beat on STI's! lol. stoping, cornering, exc.. The Subi Motor it self (04-06) will prob last long stock for stock as the boxer type engine has been known to be reliable un-moded. The STI's will have cruise control, and are Drive by wire. dont know if the drive by wire is a plus or not, me I have heard some bad things on the early models of it. All in all I would say both are great cars some of the best made all around.

Ricky
02-12-2009, 04:06 PM
call your insurance company... that might help you too....

FiFdYnUtZ
02-12-2009, 04:12 PM
the dealers wont let you test drive cars your considering buying? whats up with that?

Ricky
02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
i would tell them they must not need the money... Say if you dont think im interested in buy the car then i will walk away right now and find someone else who will let me drive one.

I drove a 2008 Z06 and im 22. its all how you talk to them

tractioncontrol
02-12-2009, 04:21 PM
that would be nice but these dealers in desmoines wont let me drive either one
Go to a dealership and sit in an STI then sit in an EVO. I think the answer will be obvious for you after doing this. whats your point?

If they want to sell a car they will let you drive it, I would never buy a car even a brand new one without driving it first. I vote Evo because the royal blue carpet and interior is the dumbest thing I've ever seen although it can be swapped with regular Impreza carpet.

K-ville
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
the only way I could drive the sti was to do all the deal then put my insurabce on it to drive it before I signed the bottom line! its retarded not sure how they think thats neccesary

JacobS
02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
from what ive heard, the STi is the better daily driver, while the Evo is better for weekend warrior and tracking the car etc...of course youll have a biased opinion no matter who you ask...

my .02

Ricky
02-14-2009, 12:02 PM
let us know after you test drive one or the other. I want to hear what you liked and didnt like about each.

Drifte
02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
What Im saying is you wont get the answer you want until you have an opinion of your own. Both are proven platforms. DD year round I'd go for the less expensive option. Im in for the 4g so I would go evo, they are extremely comfortable, go sit in the leather seats. All around really comfortable (front and back seats). Now you have my opinion, but the point was you should have some seat time in both to build your opinion. Drive by wire is weird, purists not approved! lol.

K-ville
02-14-2009, 05:30 PM
What Im saying is you wont get the answer you want until you have an opinion of your own. Both are proven platforms. DD year round I'd go for the less expensive option. Im in for the 4g so I would go evo, they are extremely comfortable, go sit in the leather seats. All around really comfortable (front and back seats). Now you have my opinion, but the point was you should have some seat time in both to build your opinion. Drive by wire is weird, purists not approved! lol.
i see what ur sayin and thanks for the imput i do want to make my own judgment but its tuff to get the full feel for a car in a 10min supervised drive is impossible

Inferno333
02-15-2009, 08:39 AM
It's obvious that those dealers don't want you to buy a car from them...

Ricky
02-15-2009, 09:55 AM
i see what ur sayin and thanks for the imput i do want to make my own judgment but its tuff to get the full feel for a car in a 10min supervised drive is impossible

Just tell them... "im going to get on it now to see how it responds" then i nail it!

Most of the time they dont care, but if they so what. say Im looking at buying this car and im not going to putt around.

You wouldnt by a house with out testing everything and seeing all the rooms and features of the house would you? same with a car.

Jappbox
02-15-2009, 03:16 PM
when I got mine, they didnt have one, and said, "well your prob going to want to test drive it before you buy it" and i siad naaaa I know Ill love it. What I did was got on forums and read what people were saying. New i was hooked before even seting in a evo

Mufflover
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
If it was me I would by the evo.

K-ville
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
alrite its not fair yet but i got to drive a slightly moded 06 sti and im humpin air just talkin bout it

Drifte
02-27-2009, 06:54 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top- ... 169396.htm (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-EVO-X-vs-WRX-STi_169396.htm)

DustinsDuster
02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
the older STi's definatly look better, thats for sure.

DustinsDuster
02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
the older STi's definatly look better, thats for sure.

DJ0820
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Wear nice clothes and drive your wife's WRX in when you go to test drive.

K-ville
02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Wear nice clothes and drive your wife's WRX in when you go to test drive.

I was wearing my Fire Dept. uniform..... but yea ive decided I want a STI if I do anything. I know its not the best performing but the wife like the looks much better and I do also to STI FTW