PDA

View Full Version : May be looking at a new car

Clinical
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Well I may be swapping to a much higher paying job soon.

Currently working for minimum wage, and hopefully might switch to a 15.45/hr job if I can get on where my mom works (Dresser Rand)

I still haven't sold my Alero which I'm hoping to get 4k out of.

If I'd get the job I'd definitely be in the market for something that actually has potential.
My ideal situation would be to sell the Alero, pay off Mustang, sell Mustang for 5000.

Then look at a used car (definitely looking towards some bigger engine this time :P ) with preferably 40k or less on the clock.

Ideally, I'd like to put about 5k down and finance for 300 a month or less.
So far, something that really interests me is the 05-06 GTO's.

Some I have found are right in the price range I'm aiming at.

This is really what I'm looking at:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=255416649&dealer_id=57266899&car_year=2005&rdm=1233173872561&model=GTO&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=PONT&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=52601&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=20000&cardist=118&standard=false)

Its not that I'm a huge pontiac fan or anything, but damn.
Something about having a car that you see few of, + an LS2 - just really gets me happy :P

+ I actually kind of like the Aussie engineered look of the GTO

K-ville
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
just do a cobra transplant into your stang

Clinical
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
just do a cobra transplant into your stang

You overestimate my mechanical ability
+ considering I'd still have to finance.

black88gt
01-28-2009, 11:13 PM
if you like the goat go for the goat

ls1 f body prices are dropping dramatically(just look at the bandwagon around here) if you like LS engines

for the price of an ls2 goat you could price shop c5s possibly

K-ville
01-29-2009, 06:23 AM
yea if you wanna hop on the ls1 train get a camaro alot easier to get toys for and to make power but the goat on the other hand has amazing interior! and was the best daily driver toy car ive ever had.... even over the cobra because with the cobra I was still always worried somethin might go wrong or the tune was bad or some crap all the time while with the GTO I knew a stock ls1 with 7000 miles there was nothing to worry about

Clinical
01-29-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm really enjoying the idea of a GTO since it'd be a DD, and while my Mustang isn't to bad, it just isn't that great on my back on longer trips (the only thing I miss about the Alero).

+ having 400 horses stock would require me to do little modification which is a + since I'd rather get a 80's Camaro/Firebird for my project/learning car before I actually try doing any serious mods to a car I drive anyday.

Aside from a CAI and Exhaust, I doubt I'd mod the GTO much.

black88gt
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
you want to learn and start wrenching on your own stuff get a fox ;)

Clinical
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
or another DSM :P

69gt4speed
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Gto's aren't bad I've driven a 06 couple times. Stock 13.8 car, good cruiser on the hiway. Hyd clutch sucks though he had lots of issues some reason w hyd and the clutch is weak for a 4k # car. Don't abuse it and it'll work a long time, it's got irs weakness. Very nice interior. Good hiway cruiser for the $. Don't know about the insurance though first thing I'd check. Like a 03 cobra could be pretty high.

By the way lol you think I worry about tune or sh-t breaking on the street? It's the track I fear, you actually might get traction or wheel hop it to pieces. Well same w gto plus a weak clutch. Not to start any crap but seriously that isn't a issue driving around. I worry about bottle pressure, tires hooking up, making shifts.

Domestic Disturbance
01-29-2009, 02:05 PM
I'd go with it. LS2 cars are pretty stout, and unless you're doing some serious modding the clutch/irs shouldn't be any handicap. And + on the interior aussie's got that shit down

K-ville
01-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Gto's aren't bad I've driven a 06 couple times. Stock 13.8 car, good cruiser on the hiway. Hyd clutch sucks though he had lots of issues some reason w hyd and the clutch is weak for a 4k # car. Don't abuse it and it'll work a long time, it's got irs weakness. Very nice interior. Good hiway cruiser for the $. Don't know about the insurance though first thing I'd check. Like a 03 cobra could be pretty high.

By the way lol you think I worry about tune or sh-t breaking on the street? It's the track I fear, you actually might get traction or wheel hop it to pieces. Well same w gto plus a weak clutch. Not to start any crap but seriously that isn't a issue driving around. I worry about bottle pressure, tires hooking up, making shifts.

dont care what you think. simply giving my opinion since ive had both

69gt4speed
01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
No problem... What color was the gto u had?

black88gt
01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
or another DSM :P

thoguht you wanted to go bigger haha

K-ville
01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
No problem... What color was the gto u had?

i had a black 04 with a 05 hood and black and red interior

69gt4speed
01-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Nice... reason I asked was long time ago I tested a 04 black one, almost brand new on collins. I had the 2.9 w canned tune. He said almost new a few weeks he had it. Had passengers, I had wife in car.

Later I drove a coworkers 06 w ls2. He drove mine. We put them on truck scales, I was 3910, he was at 3960 both w driver. We rolled his rear fenders for the m/t 275's to fit. etc. Had a few tests etc.

Clinical
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I've also been looking at a couple of Mach 1's with less than 20k miles for $13-15k

Owning my sixxer has kinda given me a real liking for 'stangs since overall I've driven two v6 firebirds and been passenger in a v6 camaro , and I like the ride alot better in the Mustang.

Granted my favorite looker is definitely a 98-02 WS6

69gt4speed
02-04-2009, 01:30 AM
I like those also, soft ride too, due to being more setup for drag racing, than say my 03 or even a gt. Shift easier than a t56 if a stick. 13.8's bone stock w decent driver w stick. Hooked up surprising well at cfr w street tires. Limitations pistons and rods like most engines. Same heads and cams as a 03 cobra. But alum block so it weighs at least 150# less than a 03 cobra w the eaton s/c. Slightly stronger auto, a 4rw75, stall might be higher?. They all have a solid rear w a 8.8 trac lok w 3.55's not much to go wrong there. My take on the mach besides the dash and other lil retro parts. Newspeedsteed that's Nathan. He has a auto mach.

Domestic Disturbance
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I believe Nates is a 5 speed, and in the future may become a 6. Looks like the pricing has gone down on the mach 1s. Probably my favorite new edge, I considered them when I was looking for my car until the price tag stood out so much. I still don't fit well in them, but the fit and finish is my favorite of the mustang family.

And I wouldn't compare riding in v6 models of anything to it's v8 counterpart. Fbodies and Stangs alike. Usually the characteristics of the car (with increased weight, stiffer suspension) are a pretty dramatic difference.

Rob, do you think the mach 1 rides better than the IRS is 03/04s? Just a lot softer in the back? I find that odd.

Luminatorz34
02-04-2009, 07:52 PM
ill sell ya the camaro in my sig

69gt4speed
02-05-2009, 03:07 AM
Rob, do you think the mach 1 rides better than the IRS is 03/04s? Just a lot softer in the back? I find that odd.[/quote]

Hmmm mines far from stock anymore. I drove a mach at the time and compared to a gt it was superior for a highway cruiser. Mines soft but way I set it it can bottom out on crappy roads pretty easy, it floats like grandpas car wife says. At higher tire pressure and reset the struts mines ok. Only advantage I ever saw in the irs was say going around a corner w a bumpy surface then irs is superior. Gt will chatter walk right off the road. Mach might lean mo but does lot better. Mach 1 use tokico struts and shocks. Lil bro has a 99 gt, put on mach struts/shocks it rode better not as soft it seemed as the mach.

Damn I thought Nathan had a auto, me bad. He does have a stick. Sorry, I forgot the 8.8 spline discussion. Manuals have a 8 bolt crank, autos 6 bolt, both 28 spline 8.8.

NewSpeedSteed
02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I've also been looking at a couple of Mach 1's with less than 20k miles for $13-15k

Owning my sixxer has kinda given me a real liking for 'stangs since overall I've driven two v6 firebirds and been passenger in a v6 camaro , and I like the ride alot better in the Mustang.

Granted my favorite looker is definitely a 98-02 WS6

If you want 98-02 WS6 performance the Mach 1 can give it to you; Marc (DeathInNovember) had a '99 WS6 with a SLP intake (I was bone stock at the time) and it was a drivers race every time. Honestly it came down to reaction and who got a better launch. Best race we ever had was from a dig to maybe 120mph it was fender to fender.

Granted the WS6 will outperform the Mach when it comes to mods- the DOHC motor found in Mach 1s and Cobras do have an after-market but parts are expensive. Example if you cam a 4v motor you need 4 cams lol and all together its around $2000 (if you pay to have em installed) for 30-50hp. A waste in my opinion unless you work the heads at the same time.
I considered a LS1 when I was car shopping but I found the Mustang to be much more friendly in terms of daily commuting- the interior is way better IMHO too.

My car is indeed a 5spd and I'm considering a T56 swap when/if it decides to go out on me (it works like a charm now) but TR3650 transmissions are prone to syncro and TOB failures. If it happens I'll T56 it (add 4:56 gears or so) or a PMP (built- handles 700hp) TR3650 and use something like a 4:10 or 4:30 rear gear. Guess I didn't come out much last Summer so people don't remember.

Rob- The Mach also sits about 1.5" lower in the front and 1" lower in the rear than a normal GT and like you said features better shocks and struts. I'm planning on rolling out with Tokico D-spec shocks/struts and H&R race springs (along with $1300 more in brake & suspension upgrades) this Spring but who knows.

69gt4speed
02-05-2009, 11:38 PM
I agree the dspec is the best for street new 4v stangs. I got strange struts and kinda suck, they work for launching but compression is too weak when extend is weak not a true 90/10 imo. It should hold the front up better, it's probably cause they were built originally a fox body not a heavy front end cobra. Probably change them again had now 3 brand sets on it. bilsteins, qa1's and the strange.

Yes I knew mach springs were softer also. Why they ride and launch better also. My front springs are so stiff I have taken off the front sway bar long time ago, never really made a difference in corners. Btw reg old rear airbags work pretty good also in machs or cobras rear springs. Btw I've been totally satisfied believe it or not in the new autozone ceramic pads but they don't spark anymore. Sweet and don't dust like the stockers.

Clinical
02-06-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm really starting to like the sound of the Mach1 more and more.

I really want to keep the comfortable feeling of being inside a Mustang.

Granted I've only been in the v6 counterparts - but it definitely doesn't change the interior much.

The f-bodys seem to have such cheap interiors, so much rattle/cheap plastic.

The performance though makes up for that :P

Maybe I've become biased just from owning my 01 sixxer, but I considering I'm finding some Mach1's with 8-20k on the clock for 12-15 grand, I'm starting to consider one of them over a camaro/firebird/gto

NewSpeedSteed
02-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm really starting to like the sound of the Mach1 more and more.

I really want to keep the comfortable feeling of being inside a Mustang.

Granted I've only been in the v6 counterparts - but it definitely doesn't change the interior much.

The f-bodys seem to have such cheap interiors, so much rattle/cheap plastic.

The performance though makes up for that :P

Maybe I've become biased just from owning my 01 sixxer, but I considering I'm finding some Mach1's with 8-20k on the clock for 12-15 grand, I'm starting to consider one of them over a camaro/firebird/gto

You should also consider 99/01 Cobras- they are comparable with Machs but can be had for less money for the most part. Granted you will have to look a little harder to find one with lower miles since its an older car but most of them are modded (at least intake and exhaust modifications) sometimes you get lucky and come across a 99/01 with a terminator eaton swap or other supercharger.
Transmission wise they feature the same TR3650 trans as the mach they do have independent rear suspension (or IRS) like Rob's 03 Cobra does. IMHO its better for autocross or road course driving, as for daily driving; the solid vs IRS is a toss up in my book- both have there pros and cons.

EDIT: theres an '01 Mustang Bullitt for sale in CR higher milage IMO but bullitt's are rare and pretty unique plus for 10,900 its a good buy (offer him 10k cash and I bet it'd be yours). Same interior as a Mach 1 so its a step up from the GT.
http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ford-m ... stance=100 (http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ford-mustang-cars290047822?sortcol=price&sortdir=up&modelyearub=2004&modelyearlb=1999&askpriceub=any&askpricelb=any&deliverymileageub=any&deliverymileagelb=any&location=Cedar+Rapids%2C+IA+52404&listingtype=used&model=mustang&make=ford&distance=100)

allgo
02-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I know where there is a super nice low miles fallen mustang for sale, black pm me if you want info.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-07-2009, 06:30 PM
although its not the best, im fairly satisfied with the interior in my ws6...i do think most other cars have better interiors, but it just isnt bad enough to really care..

Domestic Disturbance
02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Exhaust cancels out squeaks. Saw that bullitt the other day, pretty clean. They had a really sad lt1 there. Flat tire, window was down, paint was peeling and rusting. Needed the engine pulled and put to rest

Clinical
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Didn't want to create another new thread about a new car since I'm sure people are tired of hearing me bring up the idea.

However as this job fell through, the original idea of a new GTO or Mach1 is pretty much a dead idea.

However I apparently may have a buyer for my alero for $3,800 and intend to throw the whole 3,800 into my Mustang and then pay the rest off from my bank account.

Then I intend to sell the Mustang - already know a couple people who I may be able to get to buy it for surprisingly around 5500. I payed $6,000 for it and have put 10k on it and lots of paint chips/messed up rim :P + new fuel pump / paying for hit&run accident

It's not that I don't enjoy my Mustang, I'm just hungry for two more cylinders :P

Anyway, so my idea is somethine like this - I've found a good deal of 02-04 Mustang GT's with around 30-40k on the clock for 8,000 - 9,000. 5000 Downpayment and then around payments of about 150 a month which is what I'm paying on my current Mustang which is a pretty comfortable amount for working minimum wage. Overall I enjoy purely driving Mustangs more than F-bodies for pure comfort and such.

However I've also found multiple 93-97 LT1 Fbodies for about 4000-6000 with around 60-80k on the clock (LS1's in that range usually have 100k+ - need to have a car that still had good life left in it as I am not experienced enough for engine rebuilds or anything of that caliber)

94-98 Mustangs are kinda out of the question since 225hp is just to little imo when I could have an LT1 that will run with even a new Mustang GT.

Just wondering what other people would do in the situation.

DustinsDuster
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
its all in your preference; personally i cant see myself ever buying a mustang. just not my deal. i like the LT1 cars because of the 6 speed, and the aftermarket is just as good.