PDA

View Full Version : i got scamed

z28z34man
01-16-2009, 04:43 PM
i bought a rf 900r from Chris Baier on November 25th 08 off of craigslist. he was supposedly selling it for his brother and was going to get me the title after thanksgiving when he would see him. well any way he drooped off the bike and asked for the money in full later that day. I only payed him half ( 500 ) saying i would pay the other half when i had the title in my hands. well anyway i got jerked around till last weekend when the supposed real owner a roommate of Chris came to pick up the bike he was hostile and i didn't want to go to jail for murder so i was submissive and let him take it and i gave him the parts i bought for it. he said chris would pay me back but he now always has his phone off. I am going to the cops on Monday.

sorry for the long post i just had to get it off my chest.

warchild145
01-16-2009, 05:04 PM
did he bring proof that he owned it? Also, if that guy was indeed the real owner, he would have filed a report with PD over stolen property. Should have got the law involved before anything left your property and had a bill of sale if you didnt get the title when you left with the goods.

Kinda late now but hope things work out for ya.

DJ0820
01-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Why did you give him the parts you bought for it? Hopefully you won't be out that money too. Scammers are lame and they need to get what's coming to them. In hindsight, a bill of sale should always be written up and signed by both parties before any transaction. If I were you I probably would have called the cops up when the "real owner" showed up. And if he was pissed at you I would have told him to get bent. Sounds like you might have some ass to whoop. But honestly, how could you sell your roommate's motorcycle without his knowledge, if that is actually the case? WTF? I don't understand why/how some people are just hopeless complete fucking morons. How does one make it so long in life without getting a clue? Good luck man, I hope you get what's yours and then some.

Drifte
01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
That sucks, but is also kinda strange, but I've learned it usually is a strange occurrence when a scam happens. (happened to myself and my brother once).
I have an opportunity to WIN or get a screwed as well. I will share the email here of the car I found on craigslist and get your opinions.

Hello and sorry for the late reply. Hope I'm not too late and you didn't already purchased another car.

For sale is my '03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution in immaculate condition with only 73,256 miles, VIN number: JA3AH86F73U124205, rust free, no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. Engine is a 2.0L L4 FI with a 5 manual trans. The interior looks great (never smoked in). This car needs nothing and comes with a CLEAN title that will be signed and notarized on your name as soon as the payment will be completed.
My name is Warren Barnett and I'm an US Navy Lieutenant currently stationed in Mayport NS base, near Jacksonville, Florida. I've decided to sell it because I will be deployed to Afghanistan and this car needs to be driven not sitting in some garage. I must sell it before January 21. I want this transaction to be smooth and I don't have much time at my disposal to waste my time with endless discussions. I believe $5,600(not negotiable) with all shipping fees anywhere in the continental US included is more than a fair price.
This is a large amount and I would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party like eBay using their Purchase Protection Program, so this should eliminate any trust issues. They will keep the payment until the purchase is final, and you test and accept the car. If you will not get the car as described, and also a clean title you will receive your money back.
To be able to use this program you need to qualify. I have been approved 3 years ago and I was very satisfied. So, if you are interested in buying my car just let me know your name and shipping address.
I will forward them to eBay's protection program and wait for the approval.
You can reach me at ***********

Thank you,

Lt. Warren Barnett

P.S. More pictures here: http://s540.photobucket.com/albums/gg337/WarrenBarn

tell me what you think.

96-eclipse-gst
01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
That sounds like a scam to me Colton.

ZacFields
01-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Most likely a scam Colton. I deal with these on a day-to-day basis at my job and this is classic scam material. I'll give you the tell-tale signs:

- Wanting to sell a vehicle for FAR below normal retail price
- Willing to go through the hassle of shipping a vehicle, when he should be able to get that price within about 24 hours right in his own hometown.
- Mentioning that time is an issue. He doesn't need money in Afghanistan and he could have a friend continue his sale while he is deployed if need-be.

They sucker you in with a low price that includes shipping. It costs thousands of dollars to ship a vehicle, and it is a huge hassle to arrange that, especially when they're selling a car for a price that anybody would pay down in Jacksonville. And then if you agree to purchase the vehicle, they will rush you to send the money ASAP before they get deployed.

here's what you do, email them and ask them for very specific information. Ask them something about the quality of the tires on the vehicle and how big of a trunk it is. Ask them several questions to that you know the originator of this ad has to actually manually write an email back to you and isn't going to be able to use a "template" email.

When you get a response, notice that suddenly this person's language sounds much different. Spelling/grammar errors and it will be obvious that english is not this person's first language. ALSO, ask them to call you. If they call you, one of two things will happen: They will either call you with a calling card, so the number on your caller ID will be an 800 number and you'll speak to someone with very broken English (Because they will either be calling you from Ghana or Nigeria), or you'll be called through a relay service much like the one I work at where someone else will be speaking for them. They may even claim to be deaf or hard of hearing.

Guaranteed. Give it a try. It's fun :)

z28z34man
01-17-2009, 07:24 AM
I do have a signed bill of sale but good luck finding the guy. the only reason i didn't start anything with them is because then there would have been two homicide cases on my hands (i had 2 clips fully loaded of 9 mil just in case they started something to even things out since i was alone)