PDA

View Full Version : Camaro Race Platform

Domestic Disturbance
01-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Obviously, Camaro will be playing catch up with the Challenger and Mustang in the racing world, so they are trying to get a bump start on their release by making available for race teams the camaro platform. Doubt any of use will be buying these, but it shows they are paying attention. Lets hope some more 'complete' packages become available later on.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/ ... ro+BIW.pdf (http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_res/pdf/Camaro+BIW.pdf)

DustinsDuster
01-16-2009, 03:38 AM
i dont know, i still think its cooler that Chrysler is selling all out racing Challengers with crate motors, minimal interior and wiring, and even blueprints to show you how to build your own 4 link setup that mounts to stock locations. i think they got the weight down to 3100 even...

Domestic Disturbance
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Ya, I'm just waiting for their release. I hope theres a race ready version with a crate engine in it. That would be some pretty intense racing. The Challenger ones are going to be as rare as the super snakes are they?

DustinsDuster
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Ya, I'm just waiting for their release. I hope theres a race ready version with a crate engine in it. That would be some pretty intense racing. The Challenger ones are going to be as rare as the super snakes are they?

i dont know, how many super snakes are they building? i believe theyre going to build 100 challangers at first.

in a Mopar mag i got, they showed some guys who got one of the package drag cars but built it up as a road racer. it was pulling the inside wheel diving into a corner in the pic- pretty nuts.

69gt4speed
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
The Romeo 605 is the most powerful modular engine ever built on a Ford production line. The new Cobra Jet will come factory detuned to just 400 horsepower to meet NHRA rules. Ford plans to build only 50 of these factory drag racer’s for a handful of dealers. The new Cobra Jet is expected to be priced at $69,900 with dealer markups.

So key words are.......Cobra Jet name....w Romeo 605 detuned to 400hp and 50 cars... When they get done smashing the camaro and challenger, you'll remember the stuff I post. They got a new upper top secret pulley that contracts when racing but looks stock...LOL.. I mean stang ppl never cheat do they?

Supersnake is a reg ol gt500 w 725hp w kb or 605hp w tvs and modded by shelby in vegas. 725hp has a 2.8 kb w mammoth intake ran in 10's by evan smith at 128 mph w dr. tires w stock epa tune. 17# boost for 725hp btw.

Domestic Disturbance
01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
oh this spring will be a fun time at the drag strips. mustang boys will be getting their hearts broken everywhere :baby:

69gt4speed
01-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Probably consider a romeo 605 iron block 5.4 w s/c weighs around 772# on front end so specs say. I think 605hp would even it up. You have already seen 2 real cj's run 10.8s at 128.

I don't know the rules of what engine is allowed, maybe a ls7/ zr1 detuned to 400 hp. Any case 400 hp isn't a issue for any of them. I'd like 525 hp/475 whp rating better. That boost range a 5.4 s/c might have flatter and more tq than a n/a engine.

Domestic Disturbance
01-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't know the rules of what engine is allowed, maybe a ls7/ zr1 detuned to 400 hp. Any case 400 hp isn't a issue for any of them. I'd like 525 hp/475 whp rating better. That boost range a 5.4 s/c might have flatter and more tq than a n/a engine.

What exact class are you referring to?

69gt4speed
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
"A" stock nhra at national events what was rumored way I understand it. a class for the 3 brands to duke it out. Like they used to have sorta... A stock is around the top bb cars and a similar class for a auto tranny. Somehow they decided 400hp w nhra (parity). I wish 500hp at least, as they are all capable of it. Be low 10's w light car. I'll ask around again.

69gt4speed
01-21-2009, 12:19 AM
"A" stock, cj rated at 425 hp, already in the nhra rules. I'd imagine challenger and camaro the same but not in rules yet. They have to be approved, seems ford already had some plans a while ago. There is no challenger nor camaro listed.

69gt4speed
01-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Sorry so long but it isn't a "street test of run what u brung". Nhra like nascar figure all the variables hp/weight, approved parts, specs and say you run in class xx. Then teams figure how to cheat. It took a long time even for a factory s/c ford to be allowed in stock classes at a big event. Take factory turbos, forget it, too easy to cheat in stock classes. Gotta tear down the engines, all that bs if you win. Check parts, specs and weight.

Domestic Disturbance
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
meant to post this in this thread

I hope the class fits in the drag pack challenger, and any future production race camaro. It would seem kinda weak without competition. If not, I'm sure NMCA or someone will figure something out. Seem to be a little bit more with the times anymore. I'm sure eventually they will cross paths in competition.

69gt4speed
01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm sure somehow, some class they will line up besides exhibitions. I still would take A stock depending on available packages. Say camaro had a 425 hp engine then it could compete, which is like the 425 hp srt challenger so get it approved already. I would think it would help ticket sales and brand recognition like the old days w the new cars.

Domestic Disturbance
01-21-2009, 08:14 PM
stock ls3 is 422hp, so the engines already there. I doubt theres any other powerplant they'd try to use if thats the ceiling horsepower. LS7/9 would be hard to detune to that.