PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MN

darkdan
01-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi, I'm Dan. I live in Southern MN, but I'm originally from Waterloo. I moved up here about 5 years ago.

I'm a window tinter, sign/banner/decal/tshirt maker, AMSOIL dealer.

I have a 97 F150 (my baby), 98 Crown Vic, 94 Ford Aspire (daily driver, 40 mpg!), and 04 VUE Red Line.

Found this place via google, then spent days trying to register. The activation email wouldn't send. Thanks Zac for helping me out!

DustinsDuster
01-11-2009, 12:15 PM
welcome to the board- we have some members from the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, hopefully they'll speak up soon here.

darkdan
01-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I was just back in Waterloo yesterday (family Christmas a few weeks late).

Drifte
01-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Im in Cedar Falls and avoid waterloo lol. Welcome!
BTW, how did you happen to become "window tinter, sign/banner/decal/tshirt maker, AMSOIL dealer." I'm a graphic designer recently graduated from UNI and trying to find my place in the working world. You have your own plotter too?

darkdan
01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, I have my own plotter. Signs is something I added last year.

Took me about 5 years to develop my business. During that time I had a day job.

My advice, don't become a working man! LOL. Avoid sign shops if you can and go towards ads and stuff like that. If I were good at design that's where I'd be. I love tinting windows, and I enjoy signs, but I'm 28 now and already my shoulders and wrists are starting to wear out. It's tough work and hard on the body.

I'm back in school going for psychology this time. Many years ago I attended Hawkeye and then UNI (for IT and then Comp Sci). Once I moved up here, I said I'd go back to school, I'm just now getting around to finishing it.

But good to know you're a graphic designer, I'll just have you make all the logos for me! Vector only!

Drifte
01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
^absolutely, I do a little freelance work, always looking for more. Almost got a deal designing stuff for Kat Von D, still might get in on it.

darkdan
01-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I really need to take a few art classes, but I've come a long way in the past year.

Drifte
01-11-2009, 02:25 PM
You have a website or online portfolio? I took my design/art courses at kirkwood, was actually great.
Heres mine. http://coroflot.com/coltondk

darkdan
01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Not for anything I've designed. Luckily, being a sign shop most people already have a logo. I just end up having to redraw it from bitmap to vector.

But for my window tinting and paint protection film my site is: www.HurricaneTint.com (http://www.HurricaneTint.com)

69gt4speed
01-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Hmmm another ford person, I have some of those, one working on, another fairly quick for street testing. Couple of junkers for daily commute. Anyway fords = ok mostly in my book. Welcome.

Silversixspeed
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Welcome, from a fellow Minnesotan!

I just recognized your s/n, you're a sponsor on Redline-Revolution! I'm 95camaro3800 on there. I just moved to Waterloo, actually.

Again, welcome to the board!

Ricky
03-02-2009, 07:00 PM
im in Cedar Falls every tuesday and thursday

Drifte
03-03-2009, 01:18 PM
im their mostly everyday.

darkdan
03-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Welcome, from a fellow Minnesotan!

I just recognized your s/n, you're a sponsor on Redline-Revolution! I'm 95camaro3800 on there. I just moved to Waterloo, actually.

Again, welcome to the board!

Small world after all!

That's odd, I move to MN and you move to my hometown. LOL. Stay on the west side!