PDA

View Full Version : V6 Mustang wont start

Clinical
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
So me and a friend had been driving fine all night.
We went into Target and came back out.
We started the Mustang and it shuddered real bad, it has always kinda shuddered for a few seconds after starting, but this time was quite worse.

We pulled out to the intersection to get onto the main road and it was shuddering really bad still, I gave it a couple revs. Then I pulled out into the intersection and it began shuddering a lot worse and the rpms bounced between 100-500 and died. I coasted across the intersection into our mall's parking lot.

Now as I try to start it, it just won't start.
It cranks fine but it just wont start.
Full gas tank, car had been running fine all day.

Any ideas?

DustinsDuster
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
sounds like its not getting fuel to me- clogged fuel filter, or bad fuel pump. try banging on the gas tank a few times and see if it helps anything. also try turning on the ignition and listening to the gas tank to hear if the fuel pump is humming.

Clinical
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
yep it was the fuel pump

Got quoted a price of $574 to replace it along with the two fuel strainers and a fuel filter.

Can't afford that on top of payments this week.

So now I'm screwed with my Mustang unable to start.
Alero has engine out of it atm
Laser has no transmission

Looks like I'm taking a cab to work tomorrow.
God I fucking hate cars sometimes.

NewSpeedSteed
01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
yep it was the fuel pump

Got quoted a price of $574 to replace it along with the two fuel strainers and a fuel filter.

Can't afford that on top of payments this week.

So now I'm screwed with my Mustang unable to start.
Alero has engine out of it atm
Laser has no transmission

Looks like I'm taking a cab to work tomorrow.
God I fucking hate cars sometimes.

Dude, screw that- a fuel pump upgrade (like the pumps from the Ford GT) would only run $200. I'm sure you could track down the parts at a local parts store (Advanced Auto, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Napa etc) for cheaper. Fuel system work isn't too difficult- it can be messy if you attempt it with a full tank of gas like you have in your car though.

Clinical
01-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Full tank of gas + I'm still very new to working on cars, doubt I'd get by without screwing something up :/

I've actually decided after this that I'm going to try selling the Mustang.

Going to try to post it locally in hope to attract one of the rich high schoolers who know less than me about cars and who'll give me 6500 for it so I can pay it off in full and have my $500 back from fixing it.

I just want to buy a car with less than 80k miles for once in my life.
I'm thinking one of the 05-07 cobalt SS's with 20-30k miles.

Something along those lines