PDA

View Full Version : New Skyline runs 11's with ecu work.

Drifte
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.gtrblog.com/media/blogs/gtrblog/Haltech/thumb_plugin/haltech-11-1-20081518.jpg
GTRBlog was down at the Mackenzie’s Motor Trimming Compak Attak out at Western Sydney International Dragway (WSID) at Eastern Creek today to see the Haltech Nissan R35 GT-R run. In their first run of the morning at 9.30am on a cold track into a headwind they ran an 11.1 @ 124mph using the GT-R’s launch control system. Their second run saw the launch control system disarm itself prior to the start but they still ran an 11.5 @ 125.9mph. Their third and final run saw similar issues and they managed an 11.8 @ 126mph. It must be said that this is Haltech’s first run down the strip in the new GT-R so the launch control routine is still not 100% familiar to all their drivers.

GTRBlog spoke with Haltech on their development progress with the new GT-R and after not much more than a week in the workshop they had already cracked the ECU and prototyped their own full computer for engine management. Right now the Haltech Platinum ECU is running ignition, timing and fuel maps for the GT-R while the standard ECU is still in place for ABS, ATTESSA, accessories and so forth.

While developing and tuning the ECU on the dyno Haltech had tried replacing various sections of the exhaust including the center muffler section including the secondary cats as well as the rear muffler section but saw very little in the way of worthwhile gains. They have since put the exhaust back to standard.

So yes you read that right, standard GT-R, full interior, full stock exhaust, Haltech ECU runs 11.1. It doesn’t stop here though, Halltech hope to see 10’s with a little more development and a strong launch on a good day. I’d say they’re well on their way to meeting this goal.

Follow the jump to read the timeslip from today’s 11.1 at Compak Attak and stay tuned for a full update soon with a photo gallery from today.

Update: Forgot to mention this was on pump gas, everyday 98 RON unleaded. (93 octane US)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU_EUvR4RW4

xci.ed6
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM
lol, was it driver error...or is the transmission already starting to fail?

DustinsDuster
01-03-2009, 10:40 AM
lol, was it driver error...or is the transmission already starting to fail?

after the talk i had with JJ240 about it last night; i would guess the latter.

Drifte
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
trannys going out?! That would really suck! Need to find more info on that.

DJ0820
01-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Remove the Haltech and take that bitch in for warranty work

DustinsDuster
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
i'll try to get him on here to talk about it- he seemed to know a lot about it.

JacobS
01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
"I just did a quick look at the fine print of the warranty info.
http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/g ... TR_WIB.pdf (http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/gtr/...009_GTR_WIB.pdf)

Nissan will not cover damage due to misuse of:
Operating the vehicle with VDC off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow.

Basically Nissan put a fine print that VDC can not be shut off. So there is no way to warranty damage from LC since VDC has to be shut off and they will have proof of it."

what kind of BS is that?

oh, and a link to the beginning of the tranny problems as far as i know...
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25361

Domestic Disturbance
01-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Ya we've already talked about how lame that is on here a couple times. The achilles heal of the great gtr. Its nice to know my tranny is stronger, and not 20k. Nissan better take some of that great engineering and make a transmission that can hold up to the power of the car.

Who honestly would have a driveline that couldn't withstand the stock power of the vehicle... oh shit wait I have a 10 bolt... but still not 20k :Hangman:

derek072887
01-03-2009, 03:47 PM
pretty sure its not stock power dipshit.... and i do know that alot of manufactures have made driveline that can handle stock power and not much more.... I.E. Pontiac....

Domestic Disturbance
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
if you go to that thread that was posted, theres multiple gtr owners who's transmissions are going out, dipshit. Most cars can handle stock and not much more. Most cars also aren't made to have additional power.

I've ignored giving you shit derek, so please don't come here with some lame post with no relevance.

JacobS
01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
the car in question was "supposedly" stock. and the owner has yet to reveal how many times hes launched it with LC. regardless, why put that feature on the car, only to say that your warranties voided if you use it? thats like saying, heres a car with brand new tires, but if you wear the tread down your warranties voided...kind of stupid on nissans part if you ask me.

Domestic Disturbance
01-04-2009, 10:30 PM
someone could stand to make big money to have a replacement/rebuild available for those that is much stronger

DustinsDuster
01-05-2009, 03:48 AM
someone could stand to make big money to have a replacement/rebuild available for those that is much stronger

kindof what i was thinking- im wondering how much work it would be to bolt a 350Z trans to it or something along those lines.

Drifte
01-05-2009, 12:57 PM
from what i have read nissan is in trouble with this one. warranty voided if you use the car, the way the car was used to give you its performance specs.

Similar to a situation BMW had, and in the end BMW paid.

NewSpeedSteed
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
It appears that GT-R owners won't have to worry about voiding their warranties if they use Launch Control- for the 2010 model year, the car won't come with the feature. As quoted from a Nissan exec as saying "It's gone. We just don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare any more. It'll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It'll be the only R35 with launch control."

We've previously reported cases where Nissan GT-R owners have brought their cars to the dealership with transmission trouble only to be told their warranties won't cover it. It turns out that disabling the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too often, in order to use the Launch Control function, meant Nissan wasn't covering the repairs. The cost to fix/replace the transmission is only $20,000, so you can imagine owners weren't too upset. Apparently the GT-R owner's manual states that damage to the transmission is not covered if it is proven to be the result of using Launch Control with the VDC turned off. In fact, the manual states that the only reason you should turn off VDC is to "rock" the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow. We await Nissan's revised performance numbers.

I honestly feel that Skylines in general are overrated; granted I am a fan of them- I'd love to have an R32, R33 or R34- the R35 just isn't my cup of tea.
With that being said here are a few pictures I found relevant and comical:

Drifte
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
haha thats great. Nissan just ruined themselves :/

DJ0820
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

kindof what i was thinking- im wondering how much work it would be to bolt a 350Z trans to it or something along those lines.

An AWD 350Z?

NewSpeedSteed
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM

An AWD 350Z?

Its possible there was a Infinity G35 (pretty much the exact same car) that had a awd conversion done for Sport Compact Car's Ultimate Sports Car Challenge a year or two back:
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/featu ... index.html (http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0711_sccp_2003_infiniti_g35_coupe/index.html)

DustinsDuster
01-05-2009, 04:37 PM
well it seems the alternative is a $20k replacement that will blow up just as fast. at least if you spent the $20k on making another trans bolt up to the car, it would only be the one time. then you patent it, start selling the swap and make all of your money back. Bah-zing.

DJ0820
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
well it seems the alternative is a $20k replacement that will blow up just as fast. at least if you spent the $20k on making another trans bolt up to the car, it would only be the one time. then you patent it, start selling the swap and make all of your money back. Bah-zing.

Let me know how that works out for ya. The tranny's in the rear of the car.

DustinsDuster
01-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Let me know how that works out for ya. The tranny's in the rear of the car.

didnt realize they were transaxle cars- but thats fine. do the GTR's utilize a transfercase or what? hell, even a DSM AWD trans mated to that would be stronger than the stocker. or find some other trans to mount to the transfer case. or just convert the damn thing to RWD, that could be cool.

69gt4speed
01-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Just convert to a ls1 w a auto, it'll fit I bet. Then a solid axle. Look up for reference ls1 evo on youtube. Seriously, write +10k emails and letters to nissan tell them why u won't buy one, warranty bs. See what happens. Stang ppl did this, it worked, we had no probe as a stang. Even this day we have a pull out headlight sw cause we said do it. Like caveman/retro tech.

black88gt
01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
could just wait until the new spec-v comes out and steal their transmission, supposed to be much stronger