PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys

Clinical
11-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Been following the site for awhile, just never registered.

I got my first car finally last march free from my mom.
She let me choose between her 94 Geo Prizm or her 92 Plymouth Laser.
I knew nothing of cars at the time, hell I thought the car I chose was a 1992 Pontiac something lol.

Anyway, started reading about my Laser one day and got pretty interested when I learned about DSM and what it was. Then I started getting more and more interested in cars and now cars are my passion/hobby.

My only problem is, I know nothing about working on cars. I'm ordering a CAI for my current car which I'm not even sure if I'll be able to figure out how to install.
I'm hoping that somehow I can find a way to catch up some knowledge on the mechanic/servicing of my car. I'm debating shelling out money for some intro to auto classes at my community college on top of my other classes.

Anyway, the laser i got for free with 114k miles, a 1.8L 5spd - Overall decent shape considering the two kids that owned it before my mom and how they messed up the wiring. Anyway, the transmission went out in June and its still sitting in a Garage here.

Then I got a 2001 Grand Am "surprise" gift from my grandmother. I was kind of dissapointed actually since I had been looking into buying a 91 Talon for 1k and the Grand Am just wasnt my thing, but I didn't show any dissapointment. However I ended up totaling it one week later going off the free-way doing 70.

After that I needed a car fast since I was having trouble getting to work, so I bought a 1999 Alero GLS which turned out to be a terrible investment and a major shitbox. Drove it from July-October and now I'm making payments on a 2001 V6 Mustang 82k 5spd - which I'd love to have a v8 but I couldn't find one within my payment range.

I'm hoping to at least add a little power to my mustang with an exhaust/CAI + others as I build some more money.

I live in Burlington, Iowa.

My current goal is to fix my laser as I miss it terribly, despite being just a little 1.8L

It's that first car effect, I love it to death and want to fix it. However every transmission I've found for it at salvage yards has been $300+ and then installation at a shop is always around 350-500 which I just simply can't afford. The only person I know who can put it in for me is my dad who is a complete drunk and messes around with his prescrip's that he can't do jack for me. So basically I'm screwed on that unless I find a new friend in town who I could sit with for a day and figure out what to do.

My goal is to get the laser fixed before the real snowing begins, but that is becoming a fading goal.

Other then that, not much to say.
I make minimum wage, go to college, and love cars - Aka a very bad combination.
I still live at home - intending to move to Des Moines eventually though and try to get into the police academy (which is kind of ironic considering how much speeding/racing I do :P )

Anyway, excuse the long introduction :P

heres a short version:

Hi, names Andrew.
I live in Burlington IA.
I drive a crappy v6 mustang and go to Southeastern Community College.
I make minimum wage at a local retail store.
I know nothing of cars but want to know.
I need a tranny and a miracle to fix my laser.

Drifte
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Well I'll be the first to tell you that Laser isnt worth fixing and could easily be parted out for more than what it would sell for.

If your really want to fix it vs get the turbo model. I know someone who restores these cars on the side. ALthough he nor I have ever worked on teh 1.8 model...Im sure its not too different and probably easier to work on.

DustinsDuster
11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
too bad about the trans- i sold my FWD turbo 5 speed trans for $40 if i remember right...

Drifte
11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
^ woulda been a good bit of work to mate up. I sold my n/t rebuilt trans for like $100. WOrst thing I ever did. It was from japan and had (supposedly) 60k on it. Then I had Kevin rebuilt it (of KEvins Transmission).

Clinical
11-26-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not looking to restore the laser, just put in a tranny and beat it around again :)