PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about 300zx's?

Luminatorz34
11-23-2008, 02:18 PM
i might have a good deal pending on me purchasing a 91 nissan 300zx. but i know squat about them. this person approached me about this deal. the car looks to be in good shape and taken care of. i know his is a tt version with t tops leather interior and a hicas eliminator kit? what ever that is. i just need info on these as im retarded when it comes to nissans haha any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Domestic Disturbance
11-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I know they are gorgeous. I love those cars

NewSpeedSteed
11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
The 300ZX Turbo was the embodiment of brains and brawn. Introduced in 1989 as a 1990 model, the fourth-generation turbocharged car received rave reviews from the automotive media and sent Corvette designers scrambling to meet the Nissan's 300hp.

Although the twin-turbo Z sales were initially strong, approaching 40,000 units in 1996, in its final year of production, it's estimated that less than 4,000 units made their way into garages across America.

Despite being out of production for almost ten years, the twin-turbo Z still looks great, the technology was top notch and the after-market continues to pay homage to the model. Nicely preserved 300ZX Turbos aren't hard to find, and prices have come within reach of most enthusiasts. Heres a run-down of everything you should look for as well as other helpful info.

Bodywork
Even now, the fourth-generation car's appearance is both fine and refined. At its introduction, it was noted the third-generation's boxy shape and pop-up headlights that screamed "ChiPs" at prime time were gone. The new look was low and wide with smooth lines and a rounded roof line. The twin-turbo Z also had staggered wheel and tire sizes--wider in the rear than the front--which gave the car a menacing stance.

Bodywork for the twin-turbo, which was only available as a two-seater, was essentially the same as the normally aspirated Z, which was available as a two-seater and a 2+2; however, there were a few differences. The Z wore a small rear spoiler, which grew larger in 1994, and three small slat-like grille openings on the corners of its front spoiler. Also, the label Twin-Turbo, albeit small, can be found on the right rear of the deck lid.

Turbocharged cars were also available with T-tops or a solid roof. We recommend, for added handling stability, going with the non-open car when possible.

Engine
The 3.0-liter 60-degree V6 of the third-generation Z remained--in title only. For the fourth generation, Nissan kept the iron-block and aluminium head configuration, but the block was redesigned and the crank, intake and exhaust manifolds, heads, valve train, electronics, and boost system were changed.

Performance at low and mid-range rev range was improved without sacrificing any top-end performance, thanks to the intake valve-timing control system. Peak torque was 283 lb-ft at 3600 rpm. One thing to note: The 1996 model dropped the variable valve timing due to smog regulations.

According to Steve Mitchell, who's worked with Nissan for 15 years, OBDII required the car's computer to not only monitor the fact the variable cam timing had changed, the regulations also required the ECU to monitor the exact position of the camshaft in adjustment range. The cost to update the ECU and add the sensors to the engine was too high for the final year of production. While officially the horsepower still hovered at the 300 mark, Nissan enthusiasts acknowledge the unofficial level was more like 280 hp.

Transmission
The rumoured six-speed never came to fruition. Five-speeds, along with automatics, were offered all seven years of production. The five-speed is controlled by a perfectly placed short throw shifter.

Brakes
The ABS stock brakes were big for the time, with 11-inch, four-piston discs in front and 11.7-inch, two-piston discs in the rear. These brakes are still sufficient for street use, but fall short on the track. According to Mitchell, the brake calipers switched from aluminium cast iron in 1993 in order to solve a warping issue.Brake pad upgrades to semi-metallic or carbon-metallic are a good idea, along with changing to stainless-steel brake lines. A better brake fluid with a higher boiling point is also recommended by many weekend racers.

Steering and Suspension
If the 300ZX Turbo's suspension was a crude DVD, it would be "Nissan Engineers Gone Wild." All Turbos came with four-wheel independent suspension, two-position cockpit adjustable shocks and Super HICAS four-wheel steering system, which tosses out a dose of opposite steering in the rear, immediately followed by same-direction rear steering.

Below 20 mph and above 75 mph, the system is inactive, but between 20 and 75 mph, it moves the rear wheels up to 1 degree, depending on vehicle speed, steering wheel angle, and the speed the steering wheel is turned. Turn the wheel quickly, and you get more of a response.

Until 1993, HICAS was electro-hydraulic, but for the 1994 model year, the system was changed to an electric rear rack for a small weight savings. Today, most die-hards disable it for track use.

The adjustable suspension had Sport and Touring settings. Additionally, the suspension geometry in the rear discouraged any squat at drag starts; in fact, it could produce a bit of annoying wheel hop. Stiffer lowering springs help.

What to look for
Like any car, there are some things to consider when looking to purchase a fourth-generation 300ZX Turbo. Mitchell recommends looking for one with lower mileage. The difference in price may pay for itself. If you're going to modify the vehicle, however, the car's mileage is less important, so consider your goals before shopping.

When you're looking over vehicles, he also recommends checking the wiring harnesses, which are particularly suspect in a car of this age, vulnerable to heat, time and age.

Look for latter production cars; by then, some of the bugs, like a drippy brake master cylinder or problematic VTC springs that are more common in the earlier production models, had been dealt with. As well, there was one recall with the fourth gen model: an ignition system power unit. When shopping around, check that the car's owner has a record of this service.

Also, take a second to make sure the ignition coils are firing. When the engine is running, you should hear a faint rapid ticking as they fire. Any discrepancy in the firing rhythm may indicate one of the coil packs has gone bad.

Another problem, according to Mitchell, are the clutch throw out bearings, which when worn, make a lot of noise. The clutch in a 300ZX Turbo should be good, if it hasn't been abused, for about 70,000 miles.

All cars have an Achilles heel. For the 300ZX Turbo, it was the alternator. You'll likely have to get a new one if it hasn't been replaced already. Sixty grand on the odometer? Better also have the timing belt changed or you'll live to regret it. And so will your wife. And your kids. And your kids' kids.

Looking for a project car? According to Adam Lotz, who maintains an enthusiast Web site on the Z32, the preferred years would be '91-'95; the '94-'95 are the most desirable--and the most expensive. Anything from 1996 is hard to find because of low production numbers, and the earlier Z32s are subject to some minor technical issues. Technical Service Bulletins may give you some indication as to any other things that may influence your purchasing choice.

Year-to-Year Changes:

1990: Totally new fourth generation. Introduced in 1989 as a 1990 model.
(Colors not known)

1991: Available as a two-seater without a T-bar roof; centred "hamburger" logo added between headlights. Logo on floor mats changed to "Z". CD added for an option on the TT; previously, it had only been available on the naturally aspirated version. No more ambient temperature gauge. Manual climate controls are eliminated except for on the 1993 convertible. (Aztec Red)

1992: Driver-side air bag now standard, cloth seats, power door lock mechanism is all-new. Power driver's seat and leather-covered automatic transmission shift lever become standard on T-bar roof models. Change from woven interior cloth to a suede-like interior. Mirror heater switch is eliminated; instead, it's combined with the rear defroster switch. (Super White, Cherry Red Pearl, Ultra Red, Onyx, Glacier White Pearl, Oxford Gray, Sapphire Blue, Silver Ice Metallic)

1993: Brakes switched from aluminium to cast iron, convertible model--for those who like bugs in their teeth--is introduced. Air Induction Valve dropped--a part that no one missed. (Super White, Cherry Red Pearl, Ultra Red, Cocoa Bronze, Onyx, Glacier White Pearl, Platinum, Oxford Gray, Sapphire Blue)

1994: Seatbelts redesigned, mounting to B pillar instead of door itself. HICAS electrically instead of hydraulically driven. Rear spoiler design changed and key less entry introduced. (Super White, Cherry Red Pearl, Ultra Red, Black Emerald, Super Black, Glacier White Pearl, Platinum, Sapphire Blue)
1995: Windshield washer reservoir relocated to under the hood instead of in the trunk. Front fascia becomes body colored, instead of being a gray strip. (Colors not known)

1996: OBDII requires Nissan drop the variable cam timing, causing the 300ZX to unofficially lose 20 hp. The driver's seat back no longer includes adjustable side bolsters. (Arctic White Pearl, Platinum Metallic, Ultra Red, Cobalt Green Pearl, Deep Purple Metallic, Sapphire Blue, Super Black)

In case anyone is wondering I wrote this using a lil research and what I know; I love these cars... its really rare to find a prime example of a Turbo car too- most of the ones I've seen are N/A sadly.

DustinsDuster
11-23-2008, 05:47 PM
the one thing i always remember hearing about them was how much of a bitch to work on they are.

krustindumm
11-23-2008, 07:00 PM
the one thing i always remember hearing about them was how much of a bitch to work on they are.

truth.

TbTalon94
11-23-2008, 09:00 PM

truth.

I'll third that..

if You have troubles working on DSMs lol pass on a 300zx

krustindumm
11-24-2008, 08:31 AM
You know it 'takes' 6 hours to replace a fuel injector. I learned the 10 minute secret, but that should still give you an idea just how tight the engine compartment is.

Oh, and you can basically forget about R&Ring a turbo with the engine installed.

TbTalon94
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Plus did we mention that parts are pretty expensive, and aftermarket mods are priced like gold.

xci.ed6
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
So besides being expensive and difficult to maintain and modify, they are pretty sweet cars. I've driven a good number of them, and I didn't find them to be inspiring or spirited at all. They all felt overworked when pushed, and slow to respond (probably because they are fairly heavy (3300-3500lbs!!!! for a sport coupe!!!!). The interior is cramped and uncomfortable, but you do get a real cockpit type feeling though because dash wraps around the driver.

Wait, I remembered, I've never been a huge fan of the styling either....so maybe they aren't so sweet.

Luminatorz34
11-24-2008, 05:47 PM
well i love the looks of them. and always kinda kicked around the idea of obtaining one.

LayneAlways
11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't let too much personal opinion scare ya away. I know a huge base of people who don't like muscle cars, but to the people who do appreciate the beauty, well you know the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" They were popular cars for a reason obviously.
Mind if I ask the details of the one you were looking at?

Luminatorz34
11-26-2008, 06:54 AM
of course im not going to let personal opinion scare me away..i usually see something i want and i end up getting it. i was just simply asking about information about them is all. i got what i needed to know enough as to what im doing with these cars so i dont look like a clown when dealing with him on it. and no u may not inquire to the detail of the one im getting